Virgin Mobile USA to carry iPhone 5 for $550
Sales kick off June 28; unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages, available for $35 a month
Computerworld - Virgin Mobile USA will begin selling the iPhone 5 next Friday, June 28. A 16 GB version will cost $549.99.
For $35 a month, as part Virgin's Beyond Talk plan, the pre-paid carrier will provide unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages. Signing up for automatic payments cuts the monthly service charge to $30.
The carrier will offer the 16 GB iPhone 5 in white or black online and at Virgin Mobile dealers and RadioShack.
Virgin Mobile will only sell the black and white 32 GB and 64 GB iPhone 5 versions versions online at the Virgin Mobile website next week for $649.99 and $749.99 respectively.
Sprint subsidiary Virgin follows T-Mobile USA, which in April started offering unlimited plans for the iPhone 5 for an up-front payment. T-Mobile charges $579 for the iPhone 5, with $149 as an initial payment after originally charging $99.
Pre-paid plans are becoming more popular, and all the major carriers have shown interest in offering them.
The iPhone 5 is now nine months old. The next generation model is due in September.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts