Virgin Mobile USA to carry iPhone 5 for $550
Sales kick off June 28; unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages, available for $35 a month
Computerworld - Virgin Mobile USA will begin selling the iPhone 5 next Friday, June 28. A 16 GB version will cost $549.99.
For $35 a month, as part Virgin's Beyond Talk plan, the pre-paid carrier will provide unlimited 3G and 4G LTE data, and unlimited messages. Signing up for automatic payments cuts the monthly service charge to $30.
The carrier will offer the 16 GB iPhone 5 in white or black online and at Virgin Mobile dealers and RadioShack.
Virgin Mobile will only sell the black and white 32 GB and 64 GB iPhone 5 versions versions online at the Virgin Mobile website next week for $649.99 and $749.99 respectively.
Sprint subsidiary Virgin follows T-Mobile USA, which in April started offering unlimited plans for the iPhone 5 for an up-front payment. T-Mobile charges $579 for the iPhone 5, with $149 as an initial payment after originally charging $99.
Pre-paid plans are becoming more popular, and all the major carriers have shown interest in offering them.
The iPhone 5 is now nine months old. The next generation model is due in September.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
- Should Sprint buy T-Mobile?
- iPhone, Samsung smartphone use by U.S. consumers jumps
- A mobile app reality check
- Verizon LTE getting AWS upgrades, even as execs admit to some performance 'hot spots'
- Microsoft on 'Threshold' of Windows Phone growth
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Best Practices in BYOD: BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Manageability, security and support - these are just a few of the reasons BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 is such a powerful Enterprise Mobility...
- How to Migrate from BlackBerry Enterprise Server v4.0 or v5.0 to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 With BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10, you can manage your entire mobile fleet through a single, unified interface. Find out how to make the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- CDW Integrates with Google Apps for Cloud Collaboration Through a partnership with Google and Esna Technologies, CDW has rolled out native access to the CDW Cloud Collaboration suite within Google Apps. All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts