Tennis pro hopes to play at Wimbledon wearing Google Glass
All England Club hasn't said whether Bethanie Mattek-Sands can use Glass during tournament matches
Bethanie Mattek-Sands, 28, ranked number 58 in the world, plans to wear the Glass technology at the London tournament. American Mattek-Sands is one of the thousands of users in the Glass early adopter program.
It's unclear at this point whether the very traditional Wimbledon sponsor, the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet, will allow the wearable computer technology to be used by tournament competitors.
The All England Club has not yet responded to a Computerworld request for comment on Mattek-Sands' plan to use the technology.
"Glass' potential in the sports realm is huge," said a Google spokeswoman in an email to Computerworld. "It can connect athletes, coaches and fans in new ways."
"For Bethanie, it's allowed her to capture her strokes from her point of view during practice and share those with her coaches. Bethanie's fans can also see the world through her eyes as she embarks upon the road to Wimbledon, where she'll play her first match next week," the spokeswoman added.
Google noted that Mattek-Sands uses Glass to search for recipes and perfect her cooking, important to a professional athlete with dietary allergies and restrictions.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!