AT&T to offer NEC Terrain push-to-talk Android smartphone starting Friday
Price at $100 and two-year contract
Computerworld - AT&T and NEC have teamed up to launch the NEC Terrain, a ruggedized Android push-to-talk smartphone that goes on sale Friday online for $99.99 and a two-year contract.
Sprint, not AT&T, is usually associated with rugged push-to-talk devices that can be used in construction environments and elsewhere.
With the Terrain, AT&T is bringing to the U.S. an NEC phone from Japan after a long absence. The carrier noted that the phone will work over 4G LTE and Wi-Fi. AT&T runs more than 32,000 Wi-Fi hot spots nationwide.
The Terrain features Corning Gorilla Glass on the 3.1-in. screen above a physical qwerty keyboard. It meets U.S. military standards (STD 810G) to resist water, shock and dust. There are two cameras: A 5-megapixel camera in the rear and 0.3 megapixels in front. EarSmart technology designed by Audience and dual speakers provide echo cancellation and noise suppression.
The Terrain runs Android 4.0 and has a dual-core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor. It also comes with 8 GB of internal storage with a microSD slot for up to 32 GB of storage expansion.
On-device encryption and VPN access are designed to make it fit into corporate BYOD policies, AT&T said.
On Friday, when online orders begin, more information will be available on the AT&T website.
This article, AT&T to offer NEC Terrain push-to-talk Android smartphone starting Friday, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts