How super high-def displays change everything
All this adds up to a very design-y look that would have been impossible on lower-resolution displays.
No matter what your opinion is about Apple's new iOS interface, you have to admit that super high-resolution screens give designers a lot more freedom to create better designs.
More flexibility on screen size
Another unexpected benefit of super high-resolution screens is that they give users more choice in terms of screen size. Let me explain.
Each of us has a probably unstated tolerance for how big a screen we use for desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. For example, I personally feel cramped on a 13-in. screen laptop or smaller. 15 inches is fine. 17 inches or higher is great (although too much to carry).
But I didn't feel cramped on the Chromebooks' 13-in. screen. Because the screen is higher-resolution than other screens, I can see the same information and detail on a smaller screen.
The same goes for phones and tablets. Super high-resolution screens enable you to do more serious reading and desktop-type work on a smaller mobile device.
But most of all, super high-resolution screens simply make our lives better. Most of us spend way too much time staring at screens.
The new super high-resolution screens bring beauty, clarity and precision to our work and play. They're expensive, it's true. But I think they're worth the money.
Editor's note: The use of the term high-def or HD in this column was used in a general way that would include Apple's high-resolution Retina display as HD on the iPhone. While this usage may not meet met the technical specification of HD, it was used in a way to describe the higher-definition and higher-quality displays available in Apple's and other smartphones.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts