How super high-def displays change everything
All this adds up to a very design-y look that would have been impossible on lower-resolution displays.
No matter what your opinion is about Apple's new iOS interface, you have to admit that super high-resolution screens give designers a lot more freedom to create better designs.
More flexibility on screen size
Another unexpected benefit of super high-resolution screens is that they give users more choice in terms of screen size. Let me explain.
Each of us has a probably unstated tolerance for how big a screen we use for desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. For example, I personally feel cramped on a 13-in. screen laptop or smaller. 15 inches is fine. 17 inches or higher is great (although too much to carry).
But I didn't feel cramped on the Chromebooks' 13-in. screen. Because the screen is higher-resolution than other screens, I can see the same information and detail on a smaller screen.
The same goes for phones and tablets. Super high-resolution screens enable you to do more serious reading and desktop-type work on a smaller mobile device.
But most of all, super high-resolution screens simply make our lives better. Most of us spend way too much time staring at screens.
The new super high-resolution screens bring beauty, clarity and precision to our work and play. They're expensive, it's true. But I think they're worth the money.
Editor's note: The use of the term high-def or HD in this column was used in a general way that would include Apple's high-resolution Retina display as HD on the iPhone. While this usage may not meet met the technical specification of HD, it was used in a way to describe the higher-definition and higher-quality displays available in Apple's and other smartphones.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Enterprises Overcome BYOD Challenges The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!