Sony opens up SmartWatch to developers
Developers are invited to create and install their own firmware for the device
IDG News Service - Sony's Open SmartWatch Project will make it possible for developers to create and install alternative software on the Sony SmartWatch.
Smart watches have been in the spotlight recently, with reports that Apple, Google and Samsung are all working on products. But Sony is already offering a device in this category.
Developers can already create apps for the SmartWatch, but with the Open SmartWatch Project Sony is expanding the possibilities, according to a blog post on Thursday. Developers can take control of SmartWatch in new ways by creating and flashing their own alternative firmware.
The project comes with a number of caveats. Consumers are strongly advised to keep the official tested and verified firmware, according to the blog post. Only developers completely sure of what they are doing should take part, it said.
Sony hopes developers will create new ways to use the watch. More details are available on the Open SmartWatch Project section of the Developer World website.
The Android-based SmartWatch has a 1.3-inch screen with a 128 x 128 pixel resolution. On the screen users can read email, text messages, calendar reminders and, of course, tell time. It is also integrated with social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
The device works with a number of smartphones from HTC and Samsung, as well as Sony's own smartphones.
British publication PC Advisor reviewed the Sony SmartWatch last month, and called it an attractive gadget that offers plenty of apps and functionality. Drawbacks include a slightly bulky design and the need to charge it up regularly, it said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts