Sony opens up SmartWatch to developers
Developers are invited to create and install their own firmware for the device
IDG News Service - Sony's Open SmartWatch Project will make it possible for developers to create and install alternative software on the Sony SmartWatch.
Smart watches have been in the spotlight recently, with reports that Apple, Google and Samsung are all working on products. But Sony is already offering a device in this category.
Developers can already create apps for the SmartWatch, but with the Open SmartWatch Project Sony is expanding the possibilities, according to a blog post on Thursday. Developers can take control of SmartWatch in new ways by creating and flashing their own alternative firmware.
The project comes with a number of caveats. Consumers are strongly advised to keep the official tested and verified firmware, according to the blog post. Only developers completely sure of what they are doing should take part, it said.
Sony hopes developers will create new ways to use the watch. More details are available on the Open SmartWatch Project section of the Developer World website.
The Android-based SmartWatch has a 1.3-inch screen with a 128 x 128 pixel resolution. On the screen users can read email, text messages, calendar reminders and, of course, tell time. It is also integrated with social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
The device works with a number of smartphones from HTC and Samsung, as well as Sony's own smartphones.
British publication PC Advisor reviewed the Sony SmartWatch last month, and called it an attractive gadget that offers plenty of apps and functionality. Drawbacks include a slightly bulky design and the need to charge it up regularly, it said.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts