IBM in new round of layoffs
About 1,600 employees so far, says worker group
Computerworld - IBM has cut more than 1,600 employees and more layoffs are possible, according to an employee organization.
The news come from Alliance@IBM, which has been a reliable source of news about job actions at the company. IBM typically doesn't disclose its job reduction actions.
When contacted Wednesday night, an IBM spokesman said the company would not comment on the report. What the company has typically said in the past when job cuts were disclosed is that the action represents a "rebalancing" of its workforce.
The alliance's message board was filling up with comments from workers. Wrote one: "Manager just informed me I've been RA'd after 26 years with IBM. STG (Systems & Technology Group) division, software engineer. Sad." RA stands for resource action.
Bloomberg reported that the restructuring will cost $1 billion worldwide.
It is believed that IBM today has more employees in India , some 112,000, as of last fall than in the U.S. IBM's U.S. workforce is believed to be below 100,000.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts