IBM in new round of layoffs
About 1,600 employees so far, says worker group
Computerworld - IBM has cut more than 1,600 employees and more layoffs are possible, according to an employee organization.
The news come from Alliance@IBM, which has been a reliable source of news about job actions at the company. IBM typically doesn't disclose its job reduction actions.
When contacted Wednesday night, an IBM spokesman said the company would not comment on the report. What the company has typically said in the past when job cuts were disclosed is that the action represents a "rebalancing" of its workforce.
The alliance's message board was filling up with comments from workers. Wrote one: "Manager just informed me I've been RA'd after 26 years with IBM. STG (Systems & Technology Group) division, software engineer. Sad." RA stands for resource action.
Bloomberg reported that the restructuring will cost $1 billion worldwide.
It is believed that IBM today has more employees in India , some 112,000, as of last fall than in the U.S. IBM's U.S. workforce is believed to be below 100,000.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts