Yahoo moves to bolster Flickr on phones, acquires photo app developer
The Internet giant continued its buying spree, acquiring mobile app firm GhostBirdSoft and conference calling firm Rondee
IDG News Service - Yahoo moved to strengthen the mobile portion of its revamped Flickr photo sharing service, acquiring the developer behind a popular photo editing app.
The company said Wednesday it had purchased GhostBird Software, the company behind the PhotoForge mobile photo editor and Kitcam camera app. Yahoo made it clear the apps would be integrated into Flickr, which received a major upgrade last month and now comes with a free terabyte of storage.
"Today we acquired GhostBirdSoft for Flickr. Get ready to see your mobile photos in a whole new light!" the Internet company posted to its Twitter account.
Rondee, a provider of free conference calling services, also said it had been acquired by Yahoo. The firm posted a message on its homepage saying it would join Yahoo's small business division and that its service is no longer available for new users.
The acquisitions are the latest in a string under Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, who is rebuilding the company on the fly. Yahoo said last month it would acquire the Tumblr blogging service for $1.1 billion, adding to a host of recent buys including the mobile recommendations app Stamped, video chat broadcaster OnTheAir and gaming infrastructure startup PlayerScale. The firm has also reportedly been bidding for Hulu, the popular streaming video site.
Yahoo has recently redesigned its homepage, updated Yahoo Mail and launched a new weather app. It has also scrapped services including Yahoo Deals, Yahoo Kids and its Upcoming events notification platform.
GhostBird's PhotoForge was one of the first full-featured mobile photo editors. The app includes standard features such as resizing and cropping, as well as the ability to adjust photo elements such as white balance, exposure and noise. The program also offers in-app purchases to add pre-designed effects.
GhostBird said it has removed its software from the App Store and will no longer update it as iOS is updated.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts