HP aims to shrink big data
Autonomy Legacy Data Cleanup can remove unneeded files in SharePoint sites and email repositories
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard wants to help organizations get rid of their useless data, all the information that is no longer needed yet still takes up expensive space on storage servers.
The company's Autonomy unit has released a new module, called Autonomy Legacy Data Cleanup, that can delete data automatically based on the material's age and other factors, according to Joe Garber, who is the Autonomy vice president of information governance.
Hewlett-Packard announced the new software, along with a number of other updates and new services, at its HP Discover conference, being held this week in Las Vegas,
For this year's conference, HP will focus on "products, strategies and solutions that allow our customers to take command of their data that has value, and monetize that information," said Saar Gillai, HP's senior vice president and general manager for the converged cloud.
The company is pitching Autonomy Legacy Data Cleanup for eliminating no-longer-relevant data in old SharePoint sites and in e-mail repositories. The software requires the new version of Autonomy's policy engine, ControlPoint 4.0.
HP Autonomy Legacy Data Cleanup evaluates whether to delete a file based on several factors, Garber said. One factor is the age of the material. If an organization has an information governance policy of only keeping data for seven years, for example, the software will delete any data older than seven years. It will root out and delete duplicate data. Some data is not worth saving, such as system files. Those can be deleted as well. It can also consider how much the data is being accessed by employees: Less consulted data is more suitable for deletion.
Administrators can set other controls as well. If used in conjunction with the indexing and categorization capabilities in Autonomy's Idol data analysis platform, the new software can eliminate clusters of data on a specific topic. "You apply policies to broad swaths of data based on some conceptual analysis you are able to do on the back end," Garber said.
HP has made a number of other announcements at the conference as well, most of which revolve around big data analysis.
The company is releasing a free version of its Vertica Analytics analytic database. Users can deploy the software to analyze as much as a terabyte of data, at no charge, and with no time limit. The company has offered a version of Vertica at no cost before, but that version only had a subset of all the software's features. The full functionality might help organizations to test different ways of analyzing their data before embarking on the creation of a new data analysis system, Gillai said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Integrating and Governing Big Data The end-to-end information integration capabilities of IBM® InfoSphere® Information Server are designed to help organizations understand, cleanse, monitor, transform and deliver data-as well...
- The MDM advantage: Creating insight from big data To help enterprises create trusted insight as the volume, velocity and variety of data continue to explode, IBM offers several solutions designed to...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Big Data and Analytics will transform your business - what you don't know will hurt you! Feedback from over 23,000 actual Oracle big data and analytics (BDA) customers was analyzed by Solitaire Interglobal Ltd (SIL) and their findings are... All Big Data White Papers | Webcasts