Tibco Software acquires event processing specialist StreamBase Systems
Tibco's acquisition of StreamBase Systems will allow it to add streaming capabilities to its event-processing portfolio
IDG News Service - Tibco Software has added streaming capabilities to its event-processing portfolio with the acquisition of StreamBase Systems.
The move will strengthen Tibco's real-time data analytics offering, particularly for financial applications, the company said Tuesday, allowing it to provide an event-based alternative to batch-centric big data architectures.
StreamBase software is already used in low-latency algorithmic trading, real-time risk management, and in other capital markets applications, Tibco said.
The acquired software will sit in Tibco's event-processing portfolio alongside Tibco BusinessEvents, which can capture, model, manage event streams. Tibco has already incorporated StreamBase's offering into the products listed on its website.
Tibco is seeking two main things with its acquisition strategy: technology and domain expertise, said Tibco CTO Matt Quin in a video interview posted to the company's website.
"We're looking for great technology, ... technology and assets that can really deliver that edge," he said. In addition, the company is seeking domain expertise.
StreamBase matches both criteria, he said: "It's a really important acquisition for Tibco. ... StreamBase is really focused in capital markets."
The entire StreamBase team will join Tibco, the acquired company's CEO Mark Palmer said in a posting to the StreamBase blog.
Neither company provided financial details of the deal.
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at email@example.com.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- 13 Reasons to Move to Adobe Creative Cloud One of the big advantages Adobe Creative Cloud for teams offers over Adobe Creative Suite 6 perpetual software is the ability to continually...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of...
- The Next Generation of Big Data: New IBM Information Management Cloud Solutions Learn about IBM's new and expanded Information Management capabilities now delivered in the cloud, including: Hadoop based analytics, stream processing, in-memory computing, data... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!