The world is not flat: Apple unveils 'fresh, light' iOS 7
Apple went against grain, however, by declining to set even a release month, as it has at past WWDC keynotes, or talking price. Developers will receive a beta of Mavericks today, but Federighi would only say it would ship this fall, tacitly confirming reports that Apple had pushed back the delivery of OS X 10.9 because it shanghaied engineers to work on iOS 7.
On the hardware front -- Apple has made a habit of introducing at least some hardware at the most recent WWDCs -- the firm today refreshed its MacBook Air line. As anticipated, Apple went with Intel's next-generation Core processor, code named "Haswell," which Philip Schiller, Apple's head of marketing, promised would result in "all day battery life."
With Haswell's help, the new 11-in. MacBook Airs will run up to 9 hours between charges (up from 5 hours), while the more expensive 13-in. models would last 12 hours (up from 7 hours), Schiller claimed.
Apple dropped prices of the two 13-in. configurations, the most popular size, by $100 each, with new list prices of $1,099 and $1,299. The least-expensive 11-in. Air stayed flat at $999, but the pricier 11-in. was bumped up $100 to $1,199. All four models will go on sale today.
Schiller also previewed a new Mac Pro -- the company's highest-priced desktop computer -- and confirmed reports that the machine is the one to be manufactured in the U.S. It will reach retail later this year.
"There were no major surprises," Milanesi acknowledged. "But what we saw today, especially iOS 7, showed that Apple is not one to go after the latest fashion, the latest thing, but creates for those who appreciate the experience that Apple provides. And those customers are the best customers for Apple.
"Familiar, but fresh and modern, that's how I saw Apple today," said Milanesi.
A replay of today's WWDC keynote can be viewed on Apple's website.
This article, The world is not flat: Apple unveils 'fresh, light' iOS 7, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why I hate the look and feel of iOS 7
- A detailed look at Apple's iOS 7
- IT will have a love-hate relationship with iOS 7, OS X Mavericks and iCloud
- 5-year-old Macs not too old for OS X Mavericks
- Hands-free tech still poses high risk for drivers
- Apple sees chance to compete with Office on the Web
- The new MacBook Air gets a 45% performance boost with PCIe flash
- Apple's Mac move could spur PCIe flash flurry in other notebooks, desktops
- What Apple's new AirDrop data sharing says about NFC
- Apple pushes three-times-faster Wi-Fi to new base station, MacBook Air laptops
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts