SugarSync rolls out remote wipe for PCs and Macs
Remote wipe will likely become a trend among online consumer storage services
Computerworld - Cloud storage service SugarSync today announced it is offering users the ability to remotely delete all their synced files from a PC or Mac in the event it is lost or stolen.
Remote wipe capabilities are typically offered as part of business-class mobile device management software, however, it's rarely seen in consumer services.
With the new Remote Wipe feature, both business and individual consumer users can remove all of their synced files. The new tool is also being marketed as a way to make transferring ownership of a computer simpler as all personal or business data stored in the SugarSync cloud can be easily removed and then quickly synced again to a new device.
Beginning today, all customers with paid, personal SugarSync accounts (starting at $7.49 per month for 60GB of storage) who are running the latest version of the SugarSync PC or Mac software will have access to the Remote Wipe feature.
Frank Gillett, a research analyst from Forrester, said he has seen consumer and business remote wipe capability once before from a company called Nomadesk. So, he said, for SugarSync it's a way to stand out.
"I think remote wipe is an important idea as illustrated by the feature built into the iPhone and all of Apple's computers and devices. It is also available on Windows Phone and Android although it's not as obvious," he said. "So I think it is only a matter of time before all these cloud services have an ability to remove their data from devices with data cached or copied to deal with lost or stolen devices."
A SugarSync spokeswoman said that with the copious amounts of private information being stored on personal devices, remote wipe is becoming a crucial feature.
"And unlike other competitors who may only offer this feature to business users, SugarSync felt it was important to offer it to their individual users as well, since so many of them use their devices for both professional and personal reasons," she said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts