- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: FINRA recognizes and rewards success
Employee and team achievements are well rewarded at the No. 62-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list.
Computerworld - IT employees at the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, an independent, non-governmental regulator of securities firms, know they'll be recognized for a job well done, says Matt Cardillo, director of application development. "Success is taken seriously and it's well-rewarded," he says.
Cardillo says IT workers at the Rockville, Md.-based regulator have visibility into the department's projects, so people are always talking about them. When a project is completed, staffers congratulate one another as they pass in the hall. Teams also celebrate by getting together for activities like paintball, zip-lining and bowling.
Nanci Schimizzi, vice president of technology administration, says celebrating success is important throughout the organization. Milestones are marked with events such as cookouts, and FINRA ties its cash compensation to employees' performance, attainment of goals and application of core competencies.
In fact, when it comes to compensation, FINRA "is bar none, hands-down one of the best places I've seen," says Cardillo, who has worked at the organization for five years.
But compensation is just one of the positives, Cardillo stresses. He cites the IT department's increased focus on innovation, with new ideas encouraged and supported by higher-ups, and its support for collaboration, enabled by new applications and redesigned workspaces. "What keeps me here really comes down to working with the right people," he adds. "It's very engaging."
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.