- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: PPG Industries emphasizes teamwork and innovation
Staffers stick around for the varied projects and career opportunities at the No. 52-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list.
Computerworld - PPG Industries made a strong impression on Kazie Reuschel when she worked there as a college intern in 2011. So strong, in fact, that in 2012 she chose to forgo opportunities at a Silicon Valley tech giant to stay with the Pittsburgh-based manufacturer as a full-time employee.
"I [found] a place where I could get technology and innovation experience but where I could still work on teams and voice my opinions," says Reuschel, a programmer/analyst who works on mobile apps, Internet apps and PPG's website.
Indeed, the company prides itself on its focus on innovation, career opportunities and employee development, an area in which it ranks No. 2 among Computerworld's 100 Best Places to Work in IT.
"There's plenty of room for growth, and there's always a challenge -- it's not the same work day in and day out," adds Justina Parker, an analyst who has moved up through several positions during her 12-year tenure. She has traveled around the world for work, returning to Pittsburgh last fall after spending five years in Europe.
Werner Baer, PPG's vice president of IT, says his department currently has more projects and funding than ever before, which means his workers have plenty of challenges. He's confident that his staffers can handily meet those challenges with the support of strong teams built through collaboration and training.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts