- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: PPG Industries emphasizes teamwork and innovation
Staffers stick around for the varied projects and career opportunities at the No. 52-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list.
Computerworld - PPG Industries made a strong impression on Kazie Reuschel when she worked there as a college intern in 2011. So strong, in fact, that in 2012 she chose to forgo opportunities at a Silicon Valley tech giant to stay with the Pittsburgh-based manufacturer as a full-time employee.
"I [found] a place where I could get technology and innovation experience but where I could still work on teams and voice my opinions," says Reuschel, a programmer/analyst who works on mobile apps, Internet apps and PPG's website.
Indeed, the company prides itself on its focus on innovation, career opportunities and employee development, an area in which it ranks No. 2 among Computerworld's 100 Best Places to Work in IT.
"There's plenty of room for growth, and there's always a challenge -- it's not the same work day in and day out," adds Justina Parker, an analyst who has moved up through several positions during her 12-year tenure. She has traveled around the world for work, returning to Pittsburgh last fall after spending five years in Europe.
Werner Baer, PPG's vice president of IT, says his department currently has more projects and funding than ever before, which means his workers have plenty of challenges. He's confident that his staffers can handily meet those challenges with the support of strong teams built through collaboration and training.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.