- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: PPG Industries emphasizes teamwork and innovation
Staffers stick around for the varied projects and career opportunities at the No. 52-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list.
Computerworld - PPG Industries made a strong impression on Kazie Reuschel when she worked there as a college intern in 2011. So strong, in fact, that in 2012 she chose to forgo opportunities at a Silicon Valley tech giant to stay with the Pittsburgh-based manufacturer as a full-time employee.
"I [found] a place where I could get technology and innovation experience but where I could still work on teams and voice my opinions," says Reuschel, a programmer/analyst who works on mobile apps, Internet apps and PPG's website.
Indeed, the company prides itself on its focus on innovation, career opportunities and employee development, an area in which it ranks No. 2 among Computerworld's 100 Best Places to Work in IT.
"There's plenty of room for growth, and there's always a challenge -- it's not the same work day in and day out," adds Justina Parker, an analyst who has moved up through several positions during her 12-year tenure. She has traveled around the world for work, returning to Pittsburgh last fall after spending five years in Europe.
Werner Baer, PPG's vice president of IT, says his department currently has more projects and funding than ever before, which means his workers have plenty of challenges. He's confident that his staffers can handily meet those challenges with the support of strong teams built through collaboration and training.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.