The No. 1 place to work in IT: Quicken Loans
IT employees enjoy the company's relaxed atmosphere and culture of innovation, but they're equally thrilled to be part of the revitalization of downtown Detroit.
Computerworld - Walk into the IT department at one of Quicken Loans' downtown Detroit offices and you'll be met by a sea of big heads -- not overblown egos, but giant cardboard faces like the ones that fans wave on sticks at basketball games.
"That's everybody's name tag now," says Pat Hartford, an enterprise architect who has been with the company for seven years. "Everybody has a picture of themselves at their desk that you can dress up however you want. It makes it easier to find people when you're walking" through the open office space.
Identifying co-workers became even more challenging in 2012 when the company beefed up its IT staff by 80% to more than 850 technology-related positions, in response to the escalating demands of a business that served more than 1.5 million customers and was handling $70 billion in home loans.
Other than ones of the cardboard variety, you won't find many swollen heads in the IT department at the nation's largest online retail mortgage lender, employees say. "Leaders tend to sit out on the floor with everybody else, because they are just like everybody else," says Hartford.
Employees say there are few barriers -- physical or bureaucratic -- at Quicken Loans. "I've had conversations with [CEO] Bill Emerson in the hallway," says Tim Brickey, a business intelligence engineer who joined the company in 2009. "The first time, I was terrified. But now I know he's funny and friendly -- and he knows my name."
CIO Linglong He says the keys to staying engaged with so many employees are to always walk the floor and to empower rank-and-file staffers. "We give team members the tools, the training and the freedom to grow. They take ownership and actually can make an impact on the outcome," she says.
Teams consist of about five to 10 people, and leaders hold biweekly meetings to make sure that morale is high and that projects are moving along without obstacles. "I always try to figure out where people's passions are and really connect them to that passion," says Noah Ravenscroft, senior vice president of application development. "If we're driving toward that, folks are much more productive and happier."
As CIO, He says that she tries to make sure that "every single team member lives and breathes the same culture." Employees are guided by 19 corporate ideals -- or as Quicken calls them, isms -- that the entire company lives by. Those isms include "Always raising our level of awareness," "It's not about who is right, it's about what is right," "Yes before no" and "Innovation is rewarded. Execution is worshipped."
Leaders and employees recognize people who do things that embody those ideals by nominating them for monthly ISM Awards. And each year, executives give Gilbert Awards to those who exemplify the isms at the highest degree. Named after Quicken Loans founder and chairman Dan Gilbert, Gilbert Awards are presented at an Academy Awards-type event.
"It's a great way that leaders and team members acknowledge the work we do," says Brickey, who has won both an ISM Award and a Gilbert Award in his four years at the company.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts