- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: Qualcomm keeps it interesting with cutting-edge tech
The No. 8-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list also isn't shy about recognizing standout employees.
Computerworld - For Jeff Tepfer, working at a big high-tech company like Qualcomm has outsized advantages, including opportunities to work abroad. "Working on-site in India, China, Taiwan and other locations has been a great experience," he says.
As a senior IT architect, he's exposed to state-of-the-art technologies through his involvement in a project to build a 1.8-megawatt modular data center at Qualcomm's headquarters in San Diego. "Things are never boring or routine," he says.
Qualcomm has plenty of ways to recognize its IT professionals, including awards ranging from gift certificates to international vacation packages. Tepfer was a recent recipient of the annual IT Innovation Award, receiving $10,000 for his work to increase the energy efficiency of Qualcomm's data center.
IT is respected and works well with the business divisions, says Brian Baker, vice president of IT. He describes Qualcomm CIO Norm Fjeldheim as "interactive, candid" and says he has "a good sense of humor during the tough times." To foster open communication, Fjeldheim hosts regular "Nosh with Norm" lunches with small groups of IT staffers.
The company pays 100% of health insurance premiums for employees and offers some unique perks, including on-site medical offices.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.