- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: Qualcomm keeps it interesting with cutting-edge tech
The No. 8-ranked company on our 2013 Best Places to Work in IT list also isn't shy about recognizing standout employees.
Computerworld - For Jeff Tepfer, working at a big high-tech company like Qualcomm has outsized advantages, including opportunities to work abroad. "Working on-site in India, China, Taiwan and other locations has been a great experience," he says.
As a senior IT architect, he's exposed to state-of-the-art technologies through his involvement in a project to build a 1.8-megawatt modular data center at Qualcomm's headquarters in San Diego. "Things are never boring or routine," he says.
Qualcomm has plenty of ways to recognize its IT professionals, including awards ranging from gift certificates to international vacation packages. Tepfer was a recent recipient of the annual IT Innovation Award, receiving $10,000 for his work to increase the energy efficiency of Qualcomm's data center.
IT is respected and works well with the business divisions, says Brian Baker, vice president of IT. He describes Qualcomm CIO Norm Fjeldheim as "interactive, candid" and says he has "a good sense of humor during the tough times." To foster open communication, Fjeldheim hosts regular "Nosh with Norm" lunches with small groups of IT staffers.
The company pays 100% of health insurance premiums for employees and offers some unique perks, including on-site medical offices.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.