Salesforce.com to buy ExactTarget for $2.5 billion
Deal raises questions about Salesforce.com's future relationships with marketing software partners
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com is set to deepen its reach into marketing software with the purchase of ExactTarget for about $2.5 billion. The deal, which was announced Tuesday, is scheduled to close by the end of July.
While Salesforce.com already had an assortment of marketing-related technology, particularly for running ads on social media sites, ExactTarget's focus is on multi-channel marketing automation, an area where Salesforce.com has generally relied on partners such as Marketo.
It's no secret why Salesforce.com is interested in expanding its portfolio in marketing software. For one thing, Gartner has predicted that chief marketing officers will spend more money on IT than CIOs by 2017, as Salesforce.com noted in its announcement.
Salesforce.com and ExactTarget's products, when combined, will "create a world-class marketing platform across email, social, mobile and the web," Salesforce.com said in a statement.
ExactTarget has more than 6,000 customers, among them Coca-Cola and Nike, according to the announcement.
Salesforce.com and ExactTarget executives are expected to discuss the deal further during a conference call Tuesday.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts