Salesforce.com to buy ExactTarget for $2.5 billion
Deal raises questions about Salesforce.com's future relationships with marketing software partners
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com is set to deepen its reach into marketing software with the purchase of ExactTarget for about $2.5 billion. The deal, which was announced Tuesday, is scheduled to close by the end of July.
While Salesforce.com already had an assortment of marketing-related technology, particularly for running ads on social media sites, ExactTarget's focus is on multi-channel marketing automation, an area where Salesforce.com has generally relied on partners such as Marketo.
It's no secret why Salesforce.com is interested in expanding its portfolio in marketing software. For one thing, Gartner has predicted that chief marketing officers will spend more money on IT than CIOs by 2017, as Salesforce.com noted in its announcement.
Salesforce.com and ExactTarget's products, when combined, will "create a world-class marketing platform across email, social, mobile and the web," Salesforce.com said in a statement.
ExactTarget has more than 6,000 customers, among them Coca-Cola and Nike, according to the announcement.
Salesforce.com and ExactTarget executives are expected to discuss the deal further during a conference call Tuesday.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!