Exclusive research: IT commits to cloud computing
Cloud budgets are rising as IT confronts security and ROI challenges, according to the 2013 Cloud Computing Survey from IDG Enterprise (free download).
Computerworld - The path to cloud adoption remains complex and varies according to company size, applications and industry, as well as the model for the cloud service, according to a recent survey of 1,358 CIO, Computerworld, CSO, InfoWorld, ITworld and Network World customers. The results, which represent the practices and opinions of technology buyers whose organizations have, or plan to have, at least one application or a portion of their infrastructure in the cloud, find that security of corporate information in the cloud continues to be a top concern.
Cloud proponents report that one key justification for cloud investments -- that it lowers IT costs -- remains difficult to demonstrate.
Survey results also suggest that most companies will continue to run mixed computing environments for the foreseeable future, although IT and security executives are significantly more likely than respondents in other technology roles to envision an extensive use of cloud. A slightly higher percentage of respondents overall now say they will move a majority of their IT operations to the cloud within the next five years: 29% compared to 27% in 2012.
The percentage who say they will limit their cloud activity to private clouds (18%) or to using sofware as a service (7%) is declining. Large companies, with 1,000 or more employees, are somewhat more conservative about the public cloud than are small and mid-sized companies, with less than 1,000 employees. Most companies (59%), however, regardless of company size, are still working to identify IT operations that are candidates for cloud hosting.
Download the complete survey results (PDF).
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Trends in Pop-up Retail: Innovative Merchandising Driven by Flexible, Dependable Mobile Connectivity This paper outlines the challenges and obstacles to successful implementation, and discusses existing, rapid-deployment solutions for connecting pop-up locations with mission-critical retail applications...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts