Exclusive research: IT commits to cloud computing
Cloud budgets are rising as IT confronts security and ROI challenges, according to the 2013 Cloud Computing Survey from IDG Enterprise (free download).
Computerworld - The path to cloud adoption remains complex and varies according to company size, applications and industry, as well as the model for the cloud service, according to a recent survey of 1,358 CIO, Computerworld, CSO, InfoWorld, ITworld and Network World customers. The results, which represent the practices and opinions of technology buyers whose organizations have, or plan to have, at least one application or a portion of their infrastructure in the cloud, find that security of corporate information in the cloud continues to be a top concern.
Cloud proponents report that one key justification for cloud investments -- that it lowers IT costs -- remains difficult to demonstrate.
Survey results also suggest that most companies will continue to run mixed computing environments for the foreseeable future, although IT and security executives are significantly more likely than respondents in other technology roles to envision an extensive use of cloud. A slightly higher percentage of respondents overall now say they will move a majority of their IT operations to the cloud within the next five years: 29% compared to 27% in 2012.
The percentage who say they will limit their cloud activity to private clouds (18%) or to using sofware as a service (7%) is declining. Large companies, with 1,000 or more employees, are somewhat more conservative about the public cloud than are small and mid-sized companies, with less than 1,000 employees. Most companies (59%), however, regardless of company size, are still working to identify IT operations that are candidates for cloud hosting.
Download the complete survey results (PDF).
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service Modern organizations are under intense pressure to provide accurate, reliable, and speedy financial information to business decision-makers. Furthermore, complying with global standards has...
- Cloud for Business Managers in Midsize Organizations: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Read this independent research report to learn how business managers around the world are using Cloud applications.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts