Exclusive research: IT commits to cloud computing
Cloud budgets are rising as IT confronts security and ROI challenges, according to the 2013 Cloud Computing Survey from IDG Enterprise (free download).
Computerworld - The path to cloud adoption remains complex and varies according to company size, applications and industry, as well as the model for the cloud service, according to a recent survey of 1,358 CIO, Computerworld, CSO, InfoWorld, ITworld and Network World customers. The results, which represent the practices and opinions of technology buyers whose organizations have, or plan to have, at least one application or a portion of their infrastructure in the cloud, find that security of corporate information in the cloud continues to be a top concern.
Cloud proponents report that one key justification for cloud investments -- that it lowers IT costs -- remains difficult to demonstrate.
Survey results also suggest that most companies will continue to run mixed computing environments for the foreseeable future, although IT and security executives are significantly more likely than respondents in other technology roles to envision an extensive use of cloud. A slightly higher percentage of respondents overall now say they will move a majority of their IT operations to the cloud within the next five years: 29% compared to 27% in 2012.
The percentage who say they will limit their cloud activity to private clouds (18%) or to using sofware as a service (7%) is declining. Large companies, with 1,000 or more employees, are somewhat more conservative about the public cloud than are small and mid-sized companies, with less than 1,000 employees. Most companies (59%), however, regardless of company size, are still working to identify IT operations that are candidates for cloud hosting.
Download the complete survey results (PDF).
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts