Amazon Web Services integrates with Google, Facebook for easier logins
Developers can integrate web-based sign-in platforms without having to write any server-side code
IDG News Service - Using a new API announced by Amazon Web Services, developers can use Amazon.com, Facebook, or Google's sign-in systems for their cloud-based apps.
Amazon calls the concept web identity federation, and the new AWS Security Token Service (STS) API (application programming interface) simplifies the development process by letting users integrate web-based sign-in platforms with their apps without having to write any server-side code, according to Amazon.
In addition to Google and Facebook, Amazon Web Services has also integrated the recently announced Login with Amazon, a free service that lets third party apps and websites use the online retail giant's system for authenticating users.
The API -- which is called AssumeRoleWithWebIdentity -- requests temporary security credentials for users that have been authenticated using one of the three public identity providers. An app can then use the temporary credentials to access AWS resources such as Simple Storage Service (S3) objects, DynamoDB tables, or Simple Queue Service queues.
A smartphone app can store player and score information in an Amazon S3 bucket or an Amazon DynamoDB table, according to Amazon. Because the app needs to be able to distinguish individual users, users cannot be anonymous, it said.
To help developers get started, Amazon has published an article entitled "Creating temporary security credentials for mobile apps using identity providers" on the AWS documentation website, which includes code examples.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>> All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts