Amazon Web Services integrates with Google, Facebook for easier logins
Developers can integrate web-based sign-in platforms without having to write any server-side code
IDG News Service - Using a new API announced by Amazon Web Services, developers can use Amazon.com, Facebook, or Google's sign-in systems for their cloud-based apps.
Amazon calls the concept web identity federation, and the new AWS Security Token Service (STS) API (application programming interface) simplifies the development process by letting users integrate web-based sign-in platforms with their apps without having to write any server-side code, according to Amazon.
In addition to Google and Facebook, Amazon Web Services has also integrated the recently announced Login with Amazon, a free service that lets third party apps and websites use the online retail giant's system for authenticating users.
The API -- which is called AssumeRoleWithWebIdentity -- requests temporary security credentials for users that have been authenticated using one of the three public identity providers. An app can then use the temporary credentials to access AWS resources such as Simple Storage Service (S3) objects, DynamoDB tables, or Simple Queue Service queues.
A smartphone app can store player and score information in an Amazon S3 bucket or an Amazon DynamoDB table, according to Amazon. Because the app needs to be able to distinguish individual users, users cannot be anonymous, it said.
To help developers get started, Amazon has published an article entitled "Creating temporary security credentials for mobile apps using identity providers" on the AWS documentation website, which includes code examples.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!