Yahoo acquires gaming infrastructure startup PlayerScale
Yahoo said it would continue to support the gaming development platform
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired PlayerScale, a startup developer of infrastructure software for cross-platform gaming, adding to its string of recent acquisitions.
The Internet giant said in a Twitter message Thursday that it would continue to support the gaming development platform, which PlayerScale claims powers games played by over 150 million people worldwide and is adding over 400,000 new users every day.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We will continue to support our existing product and deliver new services to help you grow and manage your success in cross-platform gaming -- whether it's casual, social or mobile," PlayerScale CEO Jesper Jensen said in a post on his company's website.
The PlayerScale software, called Player.IO, includes a data analytics tool for developers to understand user behavior and track users and revenue across mobile and Web-based properties, thus giving them the ability to increase monetization and quickly introduce new games into the market, according to its website.
Apart from its high-profile plan to acquire blogging service Tumblr for about US$1.1 billion, Yahoo has been making small acquisitions recently, sometimes apparently only for the talent the companies have.
The company said earlier this month in a Twitter message it was welcoming Loki Studios, Astrid, GoPollGo and MileWise to its growing mobile team. Loki is a mobile gaming company and GoPollGo offered social polling tools which are no longer supported after the Yahoo acquisition. Astrid, a to-do list app, and MileWise, which developed an app for optimizing the use of travel rewards, will also shut down their services.
Yahoo has also made some other acquisitions in mobile including the purchase of Summly, a company in London behind a news summarization app, and a location discovery service called Alike.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!