Yahoo acquires gaming infrastructure startup PlayerScale
Yahoo said it would continue to support the gaming development platform
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired PlayerScale, a startup developer of infrastructure software for cross-platform gaming, adding to its string of recent acquisitions.
The Internet giant said in a Twitter message Thursday that it would continue to support the gaming development platform, which PlayerScale claims powers games played by over 150 million people worldwide and is adding over 400,000 new users every day.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We will continue to support our existing product and deliver new services to help you grow and manage your success in cross-platform gaming -- whether it's casual, social or mobile," PlayerScale CEO Jesper Jensen said in a post on his company's website.
The PlayerScale software, called Player.IO, includes a data analytics tool for developers to understand user behavior and track users and revenue across mobile and Web-based properties, thus giving them the ability to increase monetization and quickly introduce new games into the market, according to its website.
Apart from its high-profile plan to acquire blogging service Tumblr for about US$1.1 billion, Yahoo has been making small acquisitions recently, sometimes apparently only for the talent the companies have.
The company said earlier this month in a Twitter message it was welcoming Loki Studios, Astrid, GoPollGo and MileWise to its growing mobile team. Loki is a mobile gaming company and GoPollGo offered social polling tools which are no longer supported after the Yahoo acquisition. Astrid, a to-do list app, and MileWise, which developed an app for optimizing the use of travel rewards, will also shut down their services.
Yahoo has also made some other acquisitions in mobile including the purchase of Summly, a company in London behind a news summarization app, and a location discovery service called Alike.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts