Republicans package H-1B plan in attractive website
House takes its turn in the effort to produce an immigration bill
Computerworld - With the full Senate starting its debate on a comprehensive immigration bill, Republican lawmakers in the House have released a plan of their own.
The Skills Visa Act, by Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), isn't completely new and is based on earlier legislation. But what is a little different about the bill are the Web pages built around it. It's an attractive site, with big graphics and code for embedding the bill.
There's also a button link from The House website to forum for discussion operated by TechCrunch, which, editorially, has been mostly supportive of increased skilled-based immigration.
The bill is very similar to a proposal submitted last year by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas). That bill received majority approval, 257 to 158, but it required two-thirds to pass and it fell short of that number.
The Skills bill provides up to 55,000 green cards to foreign graduates of U.S. universities with advanced STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) degrees. They must have a job offer as well.
The main immigration bill, for now, is in the Senate. The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the bill the week and debate on the Senate floor is expected to begin next month.
The Skills bill also offers green cards to entrepreneurs who meet certain investment thresholds. These entrepreneurs will get conditional green cards, and up to three years if they create jobs for at least five American workers. They will also have two years to raise either $1 million in capital or generate not less than $1 million in revenue.
The bill will raise the base H-1B cap of 65,000 to 155,000. It also increases the number of visas set aside for advanced degree graduates of U.S. universities from 20,000 to 40,000.
The Senate bill raises the base H-1B cap to 180,000, and increases the advance degree visas to 25,000.
Issa's bill also makes adjustments to the prevailing wage formula designed to raise the salaries of H-1B workers, and "protect American workers from adverse effect of the H-1B program," according to a bill summary.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Court case offers a peek at how H-1B-fueled discrimination works
- Obama has big options for green card, H-1B reform without Congress
- An H-1B whistleblower tries again for justice
- If immigration reform is dead, so is raising the H-1B cap
- Many comments on new H-1B rule, but few are 'unique'
- Readers rant about IT worker who trained H1-B replacement
- Cantor, a reliable 'yes' vote for raising the H-1B visa cap, is unseated
- This IT worker had to train an H-1B replacement
- An H-1B cap hike would mean a grim future for workers
- Frustration, anger over new H-1B rule finds voice on U.S. site
Read more about Gov't Legislation/Regulation in Computerworld's Gov't Legislation/Regulation Topic Center.
- Ebook: Big Data Analytics For Dummies Big Data Analytics for Dummies is a valuable resource that addresses the practical dilemmas surrounding Big Data analytics and provides a step-by-step approach...
- A Guide To Preparing Your Data in Tableau Read "A Guide to Preparing Your Data for Tableau" and see how you can: Blend disparate data sources, then cleanse and enrich the...
- Meet Business Demands and Drive IT Innovation Your IT organization plays a strategic role in business operations. What new solutions and offerings could you create if you had an agile,...
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization IDC Over the next one to two years, vendors will release new versions of their virtualization product. Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV), a commercial...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Gov't Legislation/Regulation White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.