Google Drive updates Android UI, adds document scanning
Stored documents can be searched like text files
Computerworld - Google's Drive cloud storage service has undergone a facelift for Android users, and is now capable of capturing a document by converting a photo of it to text.
The upgrades, announced today on the Google Drive blog page, also includes a cleaner user interface and Drive files are displayed in a "simple card-style," Google stated. The new interface allows Android users to swipe between files to see larger previews and to find information.
"And if you want to keep some Drive files on your Android device, you'll now be able to 'download a copy' from the actions menu inside settings," Google stated.
The updated Drive for Android app also adds a scanning feature that allows users to take smartphone snapshots of documents, such as receipts, letters and billing statements. Users choose the "Scan" command from the Add New menu, snap a photo of a document, and Drive will turn the document into a PDF that's then stored.
Because Google Drive can recognize text in scanned documents using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology, users can perform a search to retrieve a stored document.
"No more frantic scrambling through drawers looking for a receipt or digging through your pockets to find that business card -- just scan, upload and search in Drive," Google stated.
Google Drive's spreadsheet app also received upgrades that allow users to adjust font types and sizes, resize columns, and sort data, as well as change the cell text colors and alignment.
This article, Google Drive changes Android UI, adds document scanning, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Lighting Up Dark Data Only a quarter of stored data has clear business value-and given the costs and complexity of today's storage environments, that's an alarming statistic....
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts