Google Drive updates Android UI, adds document scanning
Stored documents can be searched like text files
Computerworld - Google's Drive cloud storage service has undergone a facelift for Android users, and is now capable of capturing a document by converting a photo of it to text.
The upgrades, announced today on the Google Drive blog page, also includes a cleaner user interface and Drive files are displayed in a "simple card-style," Google stated. The new interface allows Android users to swipe between files to see larger previews and to find information.
"And if you want to keep some Drive files on your Android device, you'll now be able to 'download a copy' from the actions menu inside settings," Google stated.
The updated Drive for Android app also adds a scanning feature that allows users to take smartphone snapshots of documents, such as receipts, letters and billing statements. Users choose the "Scan" command from the Add New menu, snap a photo of a document, and Drive will turn the document into a PDF that's then stored.
Because Google Drive can recognize text in scanned documents using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology, users can perform a search to retrieve a stored document.
"No more frantic scrambling through drawers looking for a receipt or digging through your pockets to find that business card -- just scan, upload and search in Drive," Google stated.
Google Drive's spreadsheet app also received upgrades that allow users to adjust font types and sizes, resize columns, and sort data, as well as change the cell text colors and alignment.
This article, Google Drive changes Android UI, adds document scanning, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts