Teens growing cool on Facebook but warming to Twitter, Pew study finds
The inane chatter and the number of adults on Facebook is putting some teens off
IDG News Service - Some teens are growing tired of the excessive sharing and "drama" on Facebook and more are turning to sites like Twitter and Instagram to express themselves, according to a new study.
"Many teens expressed waning enthusiasm for Facebook," the Pew Research Center said in a study released Tuesday, based on interviews with 800 teens conducted between July and September last year.
They complained of too many adults on the site, the inane details shared by friends and the "drama" on Facebook, which they find draining, according to the study, conducted by the Pew Internet Project.
"The stress of needing to manage their reputation on Facebook also contributes to the lack of enthusiasm," the researchers said. On Twitter and Instagram, however, teens felt free from the social expectations and constraints of Facebook, according to the study.
Most teens remain active on Facebook, because it's "an important part of overall teen socializing," the study said. But almost a quarter of online teens now use Twitter, up from 16 percent in 2011.
Their disillusionment with Facebook may have something to do with the way they're using it. Some 70 percent said they are friends with their parents on the site, and only 5 percent restrict what their parents can see, according to the study. So Facebook is probably not a haven for illicit discussion.
But teenagers are keeping things open on Twitter, too. Just under 65 percent who have Twitter accounts make their tweets public, the study said.
Parents, meanwhile, are concerned about the amount of information advertisers can learn about their children. More than 80 percent of parents said they were "very" or "somewhat" concerned about that, according to the study
Teens were less concerned about third parties accessing their data. But almost one in three said they had seen ads that were "clearly inappropriate" for their age, though the study didn't say what type of ads they were.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!