Canadian Tire forgoes BYOD, issues BlackBerries to workers
Computerworld - Bucking the BYOD trend, Canadian Tire is issuing BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 smartphones to its corporate employees.
An overwhelming majority of the Toronto-based company's 3,000 corporate users requested the Q10, which features a physical qwerty keyboard, as a replacement for older Bold or Curve devices, said CTO Eugene Roman. But some said they preferred the Z10, which has a touchscreen keyboard. Canadian Tire made BlackBerry Z10s available to employees several weeks ago and began issuing Q10s early this month.
The company isn't convinced that a bring-your-own-device model is secure. "An email can send a virus into your core infrastructure," Roman said. "Right now, we think BYOD is interesting but not ready for the mainstream."
So far, the biggest selling point of the new Z10 and Q10 smartphones is their long battery life, said Roman, noting that the BlackBerry devices last 10 to 12 hours on a single charge.
Canadian Tire uses BlackBerry Balance, a feature of the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 mobile device management system, to keep the work and personal data of Q10 and Z10 users in separate areas on the BlackBerry 10 operating system. If necessary, IT can wipe the work data from a lost or stolen device and leave the personal data intact.
Canadian Tire offers its customers a BlackBerry mobile app that lets users browse the company's products online, find stores and check product availability. The app received 20 million mobile visits last year.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts