SAP says HANA will power all cloud applications
The announcement continues SAP's emphasis on the in-memory database technology
IDG News Service - SAP's HANA Cloud Platform, consisting of the core in-memory database plus application development tools, analytics and integration services, will eventually underpin all of its cloud-based applications, the company said at its Sapphire conference.
The announcement Tuesday came shortly after SAP unveiled the HANA Enterprise Cloud, a new service that gives customers the ability to run their SAP Business Suite, CRM (customer relationship management) and Business Warehouse software, which are typically deployed on-premises, in a cloud environment. SAP is planning to give hosting partners the ability to run the service as well in their own data centers.
Meanwhile, the HANA Cloud Platform announcement gives SAP customers yet another signal of the vendor's long-term commitment to HANA. The product became generally available in 2011, primarily targeted at analytic workloads, but since has gained the ability to run transactional applications.
SAP built up a portfolio of cloud-based software through the acquisition of SuccessFactors and Ariba, and has also developed some such applications on its own. A number of the latter have been renamed, with the former Financials OnDemand becoming Cloud for Financials and Travel OnDemand now titled Cloud for Travel, according to the announcement on Tuesday.
All of those applications will apparently be ported to the HANA Cloud Platform over time and SAP also plans to integrate its Jam social collaboration software with those products, according to the announcement.
Ariba's Spend Analytics component is now running on HANA, with other products scheduled to get the same treatment "in the coming months," SAP said. No other delivery dates were provided.
SAP has called HANA the fastest-growing product in its history and positioned the platform as a symbol of its reinvention from a monolithic ERP (enterprise resource planning) vendor to a more nimble entity in touch with modern computing trends.
Co-CEO Bill McDermott alluded to SAP's efforts during a keynote address at the conference Tuesday. "Three and a half years ago, we asked ourselves the tough questions," he said. "Were we relevant, did we matter, and if we weren't around, would anyone even care?"
Sapphire continues this week through Thursday, with more HANA-related news expected that day.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts