Everyone must work together for a better Internet
An enormous amount of attention is already being focused on the different aspects of security by technical groups, policy-makers, law-enforcement bodies, businesses and end users. While we haven't eradicated the problem, these different groups are working on ways to handle it while making appropriate trade-offs. Security is one of those areas where the collective work of different groups is vital. The solutions won't come overnight, but they will come. We could go ahead trying to score rhetorical points, but there is too much at stake for us to waste resources on that. Many emerging economies are far behind developed economies when it comes to infrastructure development and percentage of citizens online, diminishing their ability to participate in the global Internet economy. We need to close the gap.
The potential payoff is huge -- and not only for the world's unconnected. The Internet's growth has already led to an explosion of amazing applications. It's exciting to imagine what may come in the next burst of innovation, and as the remaining two-thirds of the world's population comes online.
But in order for this to happen, we need to stop talking past one another and work together. If we do, there's no limit to what we can accomplish.
Lynn St. Amour is president and chief executive of the Internet Society.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts