Everyone must work together for a better Internet
An enormous amount of attention is already being focused on the different aspects of security by technical groups, policy-makers, law-enforcement bodies, businesses and end users. While we haven't eradicated the problem, these different groups are working on ways to handle it while making appropriate trade-offs. Security is one of those areas where the collective work of different groups is vital. The solutions won't come overnight, but they will come. We could go ahead trying to score rhetorical points, but there is too much at stake for us to waste resources on that. Many emerging economies are far behind developed economies when it comes to infrastructure development and percentage of citizens online, diminishing their ability to participate in the global Internet economy. We need to close the gap.
The potential payoff is huge -- and not only for the world's unconnected. The Internet's growth has already led to an explosion of amazing applications. It's exciting to imagine what may come in the next burst of innovation, and as the remaining two-thirds of the world's population comes online.
But in order for this to happen, we need to stop talking past one another and work together. If we do, there's no limit to what we can accomplish.
Lynn St. Amour is president and chief executive of the Internet Society.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!