Google boosts Glass with Google+, search upgrades
A week before Google I/O, the company pushes through a software upgrade
Computerworld - Google Glass developers and early adopters should be getting a software upgrade within the next week that adds tweaks to Google+, Gmail and search.
According to Google, users automatically will get the update within a week.
The upgrade includes Google+ notifications for photos shared with the user, as well as for comments made on photos shared through Glass. Users also will get notifications for Google+ Hangouts invitations.
Google also moved to ramp up Glass' transcription speed for search queries and voice messages. Glass was designed to be controlled by touch, gesture and voice. The eyeglasses also are set up to use voice, for example, to answer users' queries by voice.
The company also is trying to increase the reliability of what it calls Glass' On-Head Detection, which enables Glass when the user first puts them on. Once they're placed on the user's head, the product's touchpad is activated, notifications and head gestures begin working, the display is activated and calls can be received.
The XE5 update also adds a more reliable alert system for a low battery charge. The update also adds the ability for Glass to send crash reports if the device shuts down or becomes unresponsive.
The update comes a week before Google's annual developers conference, Google I/O, opens in San Francisco. Much of the focus of the conference is expected to be on Glass and Android, Google's mobile operating system.
Glass is futuristic-looking, computerized eyeglasses designed to take photos and video, and upload them to Google+ or Facebook. The glasses also are designed to send and receive Gmail, searche and pull up maps.
Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, said recently that Glass won't officially start shipping Glass for another year.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts