EMC lays off more than 1,000 as restructuring continues
EMC-owned VMware has also seen its share of layoffs this year
Computerworld - As part of an ongoing restructuring, EMC reported today that it will lay off more than 1,000 employees worldwide.
The company reported in its latest 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that in the first quarter of the year it began rolling out restructuring programs that will mean a workforce reduction of 1,004 positions.
The layoffs are part of an $80-million initiative to cut costs. The company also listed restructuring initiatives in its first quarter earnings report.
"The actions will impact positions around the globe covering our Information Storage, RSA Information Security and Information Intelligence Group segments, and is expected to result in a total charge of approximately $80.0 million, with total cash payments associated with the plan expected to be approximately $73.0 million," EMC stated.
In the first quarter, EMC's VMware implemented a plan to streamline its operations. That plan includes the elimination of approximately 800 positions across all major functional groups and geographies, EMC stated.
Last year, EMC implemented separate restructuring programs to create "operational efficiencies," which resulted in the layoffs of 1,163 positions.
The restructuring and layoffs are expected to be complete within a year of the start of each program, EMC said.
Despite the layoffs, EMC spokesperson Lesley Ogrodnick told the Boston Globe the company expects to end 2013 with more employees than it had at the start of the year.
This article, EMC lays off more than 1,000 as restructuring continues, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts