EMC lays off more than 1,000 as restructuring continues
EMC-owned VMware has also seen its share of layoffs this year
Computerworld - As part of an ongoing restructuring, EMC reported today that it will lay off more than 1,000 employees worldwide.
The company reported in its latest 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that in the first quarter of the year it began rolling out restructuring programs that will mean a workforce reduction of 1,004 positions.
The layoffs are part of an $80-million initiative to cut costs. The company also listed restructuring initiatives in its first quarter earnings report.
"The actions will impact positions around the globe covering our Information Storage, RSA Information Security and Information Intelligence Group segments, and is expected to result in a total charge of approximately $80.0 million, with total cash payments associated with the plan expected to be approximately $73.0 million," EMC stated.
In the first quarter, EMC's VMware implemented a plan to streamline its operations. That plan includes the elimination of approximately 800 positions across all major functional groups and geographies, EMC stated.
Last year, EMC implemented separate restructuring programs to create "operational efficiencies," which resulted in the layoffs of 1,163 positions.
The restructuring and layoffs are expected to be complete within a year of the start of each program, EMC said.
Despite the layoffs, EMC spokesperson Lesley Ogrodnick told the Boston Globe the company expects to end 2013 with more employees than it had at the start of the year.
This article, EMC lays off more than 1,000 as restructuring continues, was originally published at Computerworld.com.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- State of Cloud Security Report In a relatively short time, cloud computing, specifically Infrastructure-as a-Service, has shifted from a new but unproven approach to an accepted, even inevitable,...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts