Google pushes out software update for Glass
Developers getting update that includes about a dozen tweaks and additions
Computerworld - Google has pushed out an update to Glass, its upcoming glasseslike wearable computer.
A few thousand developers are working with an early version of Glass. When they fire up the devices today, they'll find about a dozen tweaks and changes.
A Google spokesman confirmed the software update, adding that more information about the changes should be coming soon.
The update was pushed out Tuesday night and includes Google+ integration and Google+ Hangout notifications.
The update comes a week before Google's annual developers conference, Google I/O, opens in San Francisco. Much of the focus of the conference is expected to be on Glass, along with the Android platform.
Developers willing to shell out $1,500 for the privilege have been working with Glass for several weeks. A few early adopters also are using them, while about 8,000 early testers, dubbed Explorers, are expected to get their early editions in the next month or so.
All of this ado is coming about a year before Glass is ready to ship. Late last month, Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman, said general availability of Glass is still a "year-ish" away.
A year before its release, Glass is causing quite a ruckus.
Las Vegas casino Caesars Palace confirmed to Computerworld on Tuesday that no one wearing Glass will be allowed inside the casino. Those who break the rule could face arrest.
That statement came a few months after a Seattle cafe said that anyone wearing Glass would not be welcome in the restaurant.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter, at @sgaudin, and Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts