HP announces new ProBooks, including touchscreen model
HP also announced HP 200 laptops starting at $249
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard on Monday kicked off a series of upcoming PC announcements with new ProBook 400 series laptops, including a 15.6-inch model with a touchscreen.
The new laptops are 36 percent thinner and 18 percent lighter than their predecessors, HP said. The five laptops, which are targeted at small and medium-size businesses, have screen sizes between 13.3 inches and 17.3 inches.
The 15.6-inch ProBook 450 has a touchscreen, making it the first such laptop in the product line. The other models include the 13.3-inch ProBook 430, the 14-inch 440 and 445 laptops, the 15-inch 455 and the 17.3-inch 470.
HP is claiming up to eight hours of battery life for the ProBooks, depending on size, usage and other factors. The laptops will be priced starting at US$499 and will be available worldwide starting later this month.
The ProBooks will run on Intel and Advanced Micro Devices processors, said Kathy Nielsen, product manager at HP.
Intel is scheduled to release new fourth-generation Core processors code-named Haswell in early June, but Nielsen declined to comment on when the laptop models would be upgraded to those chips.
The laptops' storage options include a 128GB solid-state drive or hard-disk drives as large as 1TB. Hybrid drives that combine spinning-disk and SSD storage will also be offered.
Other standard features in the laptops include USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port and a webcam. Operating system options include Windows 8, Windows 7 and Suse Linux.
HP also introduced low-cost HP 200 PCs with 14-inch and 15.6-inch screens starting at $249. The laptops will become available this month with either Intel or AMD processors.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!