Facebook gets to keep its 'Timeline' following trademark settlement
A trademark dispute between the social network and a small Chicago company has been settled
IDG News Service - Facebook has reached an agreement with the company Timelines Inc. to settle a trademark infringement lawsuit over the social network's use of the name Timeline.
The agreement was disclosed Thursday in Facebook's quarterly report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The cost of the settlement was not clarified, though it "was not material to our business, financial condition, or results of operations," Facebook said.
Timelines, a website for recording and sharing history, filed a complaint against Facebook in September 2011 and sought a restraining order to bar Facebook from offering its Timeline service, the personal profile section of the Facebook's site, arguing that the feature was causing "irreparable harm" to its business.
The case had been scheduled to go to trial before a jury on April 22, after a judge refused Facebook's request for a summary judgment on each of the plaintiff's claims, according to records of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.
The Chicago-based Timelines company was set up in January 2007 and launched its Timelines.com website in 2009. It owns federal trademark registration numbers for "Timelines," "Timelines.com" and its "Timelines" design mark, court papers said.
The Timelines.com site is designed to help people record, discover and share events and history "in unexpected and unique ways," the company says. For example, users can document certain historical events with descriptions, photos and videos, which can be shared with other Timelines.com users who can contribute their own information to the listing.
Facebook rolled out its Timeline feature in September 2011.
Neither Facebook nor Timelines could be immediately reached to comment on the settlement.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts