Space shots: Android phones beam back Earth pix
Nexus One phones send back photos of Earth after six days in orbit
Computerworld - Most people just want their smartphones to take great pictures of their dogs or their kids' soccer games.
NASA is a bit more ambitious.
NASA combined multiple photos from the orbiting smartphones, called PhoneSats, to create images of Earth as seen from space.
"During their time in orbit, the three miniature satellites used their smartphone cameras to take pictures of Earth and transmitted these image-data packets to multiple ground stations. Every packet held a small piece of the big picture. As the data became available, the PhoneSat Team and multiple amateur radio operators around the world collaborated to piece together photographs from the tiny data packets."
The three PhoneSats were launched into orbit on April 21 aboard an Antares rocket from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. The smartphones completed what NASA called a successful mission on April 27.
The goal of NASA's mission was to see how capable these tiny nanosatellites are and whether they could one day serve as the brains of inexpensive, but powerful, satellites.
The phones were encased in 4-inch metal cubes and hooked up to external lithium-ion battery packs and more powerful radios for sending messages from space.
The devices went into a orbit about 150 miles above Earth, after six days fell back to Earth, burning up in the atmosphere.
In addition to the photos, the three PhoneSats transmitted messages about their functions and condition.
The transmissions were received at multiple ground stations, indicating that they were operating normally.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!