Barnes & Noble boosts content on Nook with Google Play
The Google Play store will coexist with the Nook Store
IDG News Service - Barnes & Noble is adding the Google Play store to HD versions of its Nook tablet, in a bid to counter slowing sales of its devices.
Nook HD and Nook HD+ customers will be able to access over 700,000 Android apps and games, millions of songs and more, besides the Chrome browser, Gmail, YouTube, Google Search and Google Maps, the bookseller said Friday.
The Nook Store will also continue to be available to users. It continues to feature books, magazines and Nook apps tailored for the devices including educational apps for kids, the company said.
By including Google Play on the Nook, Barnes & Noble may be bowing to user pressure to open up its devices to more content. The company did not disclose the revenue it would share with Google in its release.
In its fiscal third quarter ended Jan. 26, Barnes & Noble said its Nook business had revenue of $316 million, down 26 percent year-on-year, mainly because of "lower device unit volume." The company said it would focus on digital content, which saw sales increase 6.8 percent over a year earlier.
Barnes & Noble is providing software update version 2.1.0 that provides access to Google Play and other Google services. The software update will be available to new and existing Nook HD and Nook HD+ customers in the U.S. and U.K. at no cost through an automatic over-the-air update, starting Friday for users connected to Wi-Fi. The software can also be updated manually.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts