Salesforce.com to ship Communities app in June
Tool can build corporate social collaboration sites for interacting with customers and partners
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com next month will begin shipping its Communities application, designed to let companies build external-facing social sites for interacting with their customers and partners.
Communities uses the technology in Salesforce.com's Chatter application, which is designed for building enterprise social networks for internal employee collaboration.
Pricing for Communities starts at $500 per month, per community site. Companies need to have a Salesforce.com license to use the application, but external participants don't need to be Salesforce.com customers to participate in the sites created with it.
Communities can be used to set up customer service hubs, marketing sites and partner support portals. The application is integrated with Salesforce.com's core CRM (customer relationship management) suite, so data from the community sites can be captured and funneled to CRM files.
Communities was announced in August of last year and went into a "limited pilot" release later, during which some customers got a head start creating sites. Those customers included the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, GE and Pernod Ricard.
With this product, Salesforce.com continues to beef up its enterprise collaboration portfolio and put itself in greater competition with enterprise social networking products from companies such as Microsoft, IBM, Jive Software, Socialtext and Tibco.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts