Salesforce.com to ship Communities app in June
Tool can build corporate social collaboration sites for interacting with customers and partners
IDG News Service - Salesforce.com next month will begin shipping its Communities application, designed to let companies build external-facing social sites for interacting with their customers and partners.
Communities uses the technology in Salesforce.com's Chatter application, which is designed for building enterprise social networks for internal employee collaboration.
Pricing for Communities starts at $500 per month, per community site. Companies need to have a Salesforce.com license to use the application, but external participants don't need to be Salesforce.com customers to participate in the sites created with it.
Communities can be used to set up customer service hubs, marketing sites and partner support portals. The application is integrated with Salesforce.com's core CRM (customer relationship management) suite, so data from the community sites can be captured and funneled to CRM files.
Communities was announced in August of last year and went into a "limited pilot" release later, during which some customers got a head start creating sites. Those customers included the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, GE and Pernod Ricard.
With this product, Salesforce.com continues to beef up its enterprise collaboration portfolio and put itself in greater competition with enterprise social networking products from companies such as Microsoft, IBM, Jive Software, Socialtext and Tibco.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts