VMware sells Java tool maker WaveMaker's assets
VMware had started looking to sell off non-essential assets after lackluster first quarter results
IDG News Service - A little more than two years after purchasing Java tool vendor WaveMaker, VMware has sold the assets of the company to the Pramati software engineering firm.
WaveMaker offers a RAD platform that can be used to develop Java applications for the cloud, using a visual interface that reduces the amount of code that needs to be written from scratch. The company has generated a developer community of more than 35,000 participants.
In January following a lackluster financial quarter, VMware started to restructure its assets, making plans to spin off those technologies that the company viewed as non-essential to its core business. Many of these technologies went to Pivotal, a VMware and EMC spinoff launched earlier this month. Though Spring went to Pivotal, WaveMaker did not follow.
Pramati will add WaveMaker's RAD software to its existing collection of enterprise development tools. Working as an incubator, Pramati seeks to develop technologies that address new business opportunities, such as cloud computing, big data and mobile applications. Last October, Pramati sold enterprise collaboration software vendor Qontext to Autodesk.
Other companies under Pramati's ownership include SocialTwist, which offers a social referral marketing platform, and the technology services company Imaginea.
Organizations such as the U.S. Centers For Disease Control, Macy's and CRM (customer relationship management) software provider KANA have used WaveMaker products.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts