Amazon Web Services launches new certification program
Solutions architects are the first to get certified
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services (AWS) has launched a Global Certification Program, which will allow solutions architects, systems operations administrators, and developers to get proof of their cloud know-how.
The new program has been designed to certify the technical skills and knowledge associated with "building secure and reliable cloud-based applications using AWS technology," Amazon said.
A solutions architect is a person who knows the ins and outs of designing distributed applications and systems on the AWS platform, while a sysops administrator is responsible for the operational health of an application running on Amazon's cloud. The latter should have in-depth knowledge of the application or service being operated, including how the application is constructed, deployed, and automated, as well as the controls and monitoring points available, according to Amazon. Developers in turn design and build AWS-based applications.
There are three different levels to choose from: associate, professional and master. To earn a certification for one of the three levels, candidates must pass an exam, which will be administered through Kryterion testing centers in more than 100 countries and 750 testing locations worldwide. Training and other resources from Amazon will offer help when preparing.
The program will be rolled out in multiple steps. The first certification to be offered is the AWS Certified Solutions Architect at an Associate Level, Amazon said. To pass that level, candidates are expected to have an understanding of elasticity and scalability concepts as well how network technologies relate to Amazon's cloud. Another important part is understanding how to interact with AWS services, including APIs (application programming interfaces) and SDKs (software development kits).
Certifications for the other two roles will become available later this year, Amazon said. On its certification website there is more information to be found.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!