Google may have smart eyeglasses but Budweiser has smart beer glasses
Budweiser's Buddy Cup creates Facebook friends with a simple clink
Computerworld - Budweiser is trying to make it easier to make friends -- Facebook friends -- when you're drinking beer.
The company's Brazilian development team has come out with the Buddy Cup, a beer glass with an embedded chip. When two Buddy Cups are clinked together, they automatically send friend requests to the users' Facebook pages.
"Budweiser loves to share in great times with our fans," said Manuel Rangel Machiavello of Budweiser Brazil in an email. "The Buddy Cup brings together the in-bar experience with Facebook, the most used social media channel for our consumers."
According to Budweiser, users scan a bar code on the bottom of the cup and provide information from their Facebook profiles so the cup can connect to their Facebook accounts.
"We did a first pilot event here in Sao Paulo to test the prototype," said Machiavello. "It was an instant success and we had the chance to register users' reactions as well. Lots of friends were made that night. Based on the positive reactions, we are looking at taking this to bigger events in future."
Budweiser's smart beer glass comes on the heels of Google's plans to develop smart eyeglasses.
Google has started distributing the futuristic-looking, wearable computers to developers and early testers, called Explorers. The glasses are designed to enable users to take pictures and video, send email and post information on social networks like Google+ and Facebook.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!