Google may have smart eyeglasses but Budweiser has smart beer glasses
Budweiser's Buddy Cup creates Facebook friends with a simple clink
Computerworld - Budweiser is trying to make it easier to make friends -- Facebook friends -- when you're drinking beer.
The company's Brazilian development team has come out with the Buddy Cup, a beer glass with an embedded chip. When two Buddy Cups are clinked together, they automatically send friend requests to the users' Facebook pages.
"Budweiser loves to share in great times with our fans," said Manuel Rangel Machiavello of Budweiser Brazil in an email. "The Buddy Cup brings together the in-bar experience with Facebook, the most used social media channel for our consumers."
According to Budweiser, users scan a bar code on the bottom of the cup and provide information from their Facebook profiles so the cup can connect to their Facebook accounts.
"We did a first pilot event here in Sao Paulo to test the prototype," said Machiavello. "It was an instant success and we had the chance to register users' reactions as well. Lots of friends were made that night. Based on the positive reactions, we are looking at taking this to bigger events in future."
Budweiser's smart beer glass comes on the heels of Google's plans to develop smart eyeglasses.
Google has started distributing the futuristic-looking, wearable computers to developers and early testers, called Explorers. The glasses are designed to enable users to take pictures and video, send email and post information on social networks like Google+ and Facebook.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts