Google may have smart eyeglasses but Budweiser has smart beer glasses
Budweiser's Buddy Cup creates Facebook friends with a simple clink
Computerworld - Budweiser is trying to make it easier to make friends -- Facebook friends -- when you're drinking beer.
The company's Brazilian development team has come out with the Buddy Cup, a beer glass with an embedded chip. When two Buddy Cups are clinked together, they automatically send friend requests to the users' Facebook pages.
"Budweiser loves to share in great times with our fans," said Manuel Rangel Machiavello of Budweiser Brazil in an email. "The Buddy Cup brings together the in-bar experience with Facebook, the most used social media channel for our consumers."
According to Budweiser, users scan a bar code on the bottom of the cup and provide information from their Facebook profiles so the cup can connect to their Facebook accounts.
"We did a first pilot event here in Sao Paulo to test the prototype," said Machiavello. "It was an instant success and we had the chance to register users' reactions as well. Lots of friends were made that night. Based on the positive reactions, we are looking at taking this to bigger events in future."
Budweiser's smart beer glass comes on the heels of Google's plans to develop smart eyeglasses.
Google has started distributing the futuristic-looking, wearable computers to developers and early testers, called Explorers. The glasses are designed to enable users to take pictures and video, send email and post information on social networks like Google+ and Facebook.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts