Toshiba USB portable hard drive is also online file server
Company says Canvio Connect is its first USB drive to offer built-in remote access
IDG News Service - Toshiba is set to launch a portable USB hard drive that comes with PC or Mac software that can turn it into an Internet-accessible file server.
The company said its Canvio Connect drive has built-in software that turns it into an online file server when it is plugged into a Windows or Mac computer. The contents of the NFTS drive can be accessed remotely from a different computer or smartphone, using apps for iOS and Android.
The device will go on sale via Toshiba's website and "select retailers" in May in the U.S. It will be available in various sizes, from a 500GB version for $99.99 to a 2TB model for $189.99.
Both Windows and OSX offer remote file sharing, as well as a host of third-party applications, but those must often be configured separately for each computer. With Toshiba's software, the device can serve as a USB-based file server whichever PC it is connected to.
Toshiba said the Canvio Connect will also come with 10GB of free online storage, but didn't say how long that offer would last. The drives measure 79 x 111 x 15mm, and come in colors including black, red, blue and silver.
The company already offers a line of "Canvio Personal Cloud" hard drives for home use, with a similar remote access feature, that require their own power supply. Other firms such as Iomega and Buffalo offer similar products.
- Reduce IT Burdens: Regulation, Legal Hold & Discovery Download this white paper to learn how Delphix can be an integral part of ensuring your archiving strategy actually enables your business.
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts