Gartner: Worldwide CRM revenue grew 12.5 percent in 2012
Salesforce.com takes over the top spot in terms of revenue, ahead of SAP
IDG News Service - Global CRM (customer relationship management) revenue grew 12.5 percent last year to US$18 billion, a rate three times that of all enterprise software segments on average, as companies look to acquire more business and serve existing customers better, according to a new Gartner report.
Salesforce.com overtook SAP as the largest single CRM vendor in Gartner's survey, with Oracle, Microsoft and IBM following those two companies. SAP remained the top CRM vendor in Europe, however, according to the report, which was announced Monday.
About 40 percent of CRM revenue was derived from SaaS (software as a service) products, reflecting Salesforce.com's top ranking.
The CRM market has been charged up by a wave of acquisitions, particularly in the area of marketing software, evidenced by Oracle's purchase of Eloqua, Salesforce.com's acquisition of Buddy Media and IBM's purchases of Unica and Coremetrics.
In all, there were more than 50 acquisitions within the CRM market between 2009 and 2012, according to Gartner. "With corporate cash at all-time highs, many vendors are willing to pay high premiums to acquire specific technologies and expertise in an increasingly dynamic and competitive CRM market environment," the report states.
This wave of consolidation has led to a situation today where the top 10 CRM vendors by revenue hold more than 60 percent of the market, according to Gartner's survey.
But smaller players are growing quickly as well. Zoho, for example, saw CRM revenues rise 81.2 percent in 2012, according to Gartner. This was made possible because of smaller vendors' "ability to build out faster to provide SaaS, social, e-commerce and mobility," the report states.
While Salesforce.com has taken the top spot among CRM vendors, it will have to defend the crown vigorously as rivals improve their SaaS offerings, Gartner said. "Oracle and IBM are now positioned to take some of the cloud business in the future, especially in the global large-enterprise arena," the report states. "Microsoft has also started to put pressure in the small or midsize business for cloud, in which Salesforce.com has not yet had a formidable competitor with deep pockets and a large ecosystem."
However, Salesforce.com has also diversified its product portfolio away from core CRM through ventures such as the Force.com development platform and forays into human resources and financial applications.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts