SAP launches ride-sharing app TwoGo
The application is powered by Nokia's HERE location service
IDG News Service - SAP has expanded its foray into corporate sustainability with the release of a carpooling application called TwoGo.
The cloud-based software uses Nokia's HERE mapping technology and has been in use internally at SAP since July 2011, according to the announcement released Monday. SAP and its employees have derived about $5 million in benefits from the application thanks to lower fuel usage, employee travel reimbursements and other savings, SAP said.
TwoGo has benefited SAP's corporate culture as well, helping to rack up thousands of days' worth of "networking time" among employees who have used the service, according to SAP.
While there are other ride-sharing applications in the market, TwoGo automatically matches up employees who are looking to share rides based on their preferred timing, location and other factors, rather than making users go through lists to find ride partners that fit their schedules, SAP said.
It's also possible for TwoGo users to create carpools with workers at other companies, provided they are also TwoGo users. TwoGo is also usable in conjunction with calendar software that has compatibility with Apple's iCal, SAP said.
Specific pricing for TwoGo wasn't revealed but the software is available via "affordable" annual subscriptions, according to SAP's announcement.
There seems to be less emphasis of late from the SAP CEO level concerning sustainability, compared to when Leo Apotheker held that job, said Jon Reed, an independent analyst who closely tracks the company.
Still, "I think SAP is very committed to it because there's an unquestioned financial benefit, and their customers are just as interested in it as SAP is," he said.
On the product front, SAP's sustainability catalog remains a work in progress, but that's partly because the concept faces similar challenges to social networking in a corporate setting, Reed added. "You can't just slather a layer over the top," he said. "[Sustainability] has to be embedded in processes."
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts