SAP launches ride-sharing app TwoGo
The application is powered by Nokia's HERE location service
IDG News Service - SAP has expanded its foray into corporate sustainability with the release of a carpooling application called TwoGo.
The cloud-based software uses Nokia's HERE mapping technology and has been in use internally at SAP since July 2011, according to the announcement released Monday. SAP and its employees have derived about $5 million in benefits from the application thanks to lower fuel usage, employee travel reimbursements and other savings, SAP said.
TwoGo has benefited SAP's corporate culture as well, helping to rack up thousands of days' worth of "networking time" among employees who have used the service, according to SAP.
While there are other ride-sharing applications in the market, TwoGo automatically matches up employees who are looking to share rides based on their preferred timing, location and other factors, rather than making users go through lists to find ride partners that fit their schedules, SAP said.
It's also possible for TwoGo users to create carpools with workers at other companies, provided they are also TwoGo users. TwoGo is also usable in conjunction with calendar software that has compatibility with Apple's iCal, SAP said.
Specific pricing for TwoGo wasn't revealed but the software is available via "affordable" annual subscriptions, according to SAP's announcement.
There seems to be less emphasis of late from the SAP CEO level concerning sustainability, compared to when Leo Apotheker held that job, said Jon Reed, an independent analyst who closely tracks the company.
Still, "I think SAP is very committed to it because there's an unquestioned financial benefit, and their customers are just as interested in it as SAP is," he said.
On the product front, SAP's sustainability catalog remains a work in progress, but that's partly because the concept faces similar challenges to social networking in a corporate setting, Reed added. "You can't just slather a layer over the top," he said. "[Sustainability] has to be embedded in processes."
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts