Bellevue College looks to online software to help autistic students collaborate
School deployed Canvas from Instructure for special program
Computerworld - Bellevue College in Washington has deployed online learning software to help students with autism improve their small-group collaboration skills.
Fifty Bellevue students in an Autism Spectrum Navigators program have been taking advantage of a discussion board feature inside Canvas, a learning management system from start-up Instructure.
The Navigators program, now nearing the end of its second full year, has deployed the Canvas software for the past year, giving Bellevue students and teachers access to assignments, grades and other materials as well as collaboration through text, audio and video from desktops, tablets and even smartphones and tablets.
"We've had Canvas this entire year and we've seen a lot more confidence and interaction with students," Sara Gardner, manager of the Navigator program, said in an interview. "We use a social justice model instead of a medical one [for dealing with autism], so we aren't aren't trying to fix our students and rather are trying to use the technology to put students together to communicate better and...support them with skills."
Canvas offered the school a way to help instructors monitor Navigator students in their discussion groups to see how they handle group projects. "We needed to find a way to help them do group work, which is always difficult on the autism spectrum," Gardner said.
Students meet in small project groups once a week face-to-face and can extend those meetings with the online collaboration tools, Gardner said. About half of the students use smartphones whole others use tablets to access Canvas, where they can read assignments and announcements from instructors and classmates.
Because some of the students travel three hours each way to attend classes, their smartphones are extremely important to their learning.
Gardner herself is on the autism spectrum, and took her job on the condition she be able to telecommute part of each week because she finds office socializing and frequent face-to-face interactions difficult and exhausting.
"I'm more effective with the door closed and earplugs in my ears, but that's not very social," she said. "I will say as a person on the spectrum that a lot of socializing does take place online via computers and online discussions, so I had a pretty good idea of the value of Canvas."
While Canvas clearly has offered value to the Navigators, Gardner said it is harder to pinpoint how much it has contributed to overall levels of achievement. Students in the program have seen improved grades and more have completed courses than those not in the program over the past two years, she said.
In addition to the software tools, students meet with mentors regularly and their parents are invited to meet with program coordinators quarterly.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts