LinkedIn revamps contacts tool to boost relationship management
New LinkedIn Contacts will also be available as a standalone iOS app
IDG News Service - LinkedIn has revamped the contacts management feature of its professional networking website and packaged the functionality into a new iOS application.
The company will begin on Thursday a limited trial of the new LinkedIn Contacts with handpicked U.S. users. The technology behind the upgrade came from a startup company called Connected that LinkedIn acquired in 2011.
The new LinkedIn Contacts has been designed to aggregate information from a broader variety of sources than is possible today.
In addition, it was built to have "personal assistant" qualities, such as the ability to trigger reminders and suggestions, and to also be simple and entertaining to use.
"We're trying to change the game," said Sachin Rekhi, product lead for LinkedIn Contacts, during a press conference.
LinkedIn Contacts can grab contact data not just from LinkedIn but also from a variety of third-party email services, address books and calendars, including those in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook and iPhone, according to Rekhi. It can also get contacts data from applications like CardMunch, Evernote and TripIt.
However, it doesn't access data from Facebook or Twitter at this point, nor has it been designed to tap into enterprise applications like CRM software and ERP suites, he said, adding that the focus is on helping individuals manage their professional connections.
After LinkedIn users give their consent for the system to mine various email accounts and other sources of contacts data, LinkedIn Contacts consolidates the information and merges duplicated contacts into single entries. It creates contact entries for all people a user has corresponded with via email even if a formal contact entry was never created before. Rekhi said the system has an algorithm designed to detect email sources that aren't people and thus shouldn't be considered contacts. Users can also manually add, change and delete entries created automatically by LinkedIn Contacts.
The contacts profiles it creates contain not only basic information about the people, but also a log of past email interactions and of meetings. Users can append notes to their contact entries as well.
It's possible to filter and sort the contacts list in a variety of ways, including by the last time the user communicated with people on the list, and by the most recently added people. An option called "lost touch" lists people with whom the user hasn't interacted in a long time based on email conversations and meetings logged in calendars.
LinkedIn Contacts also alerts users about contacts having birthdays or getting new jobs, and through its integration with TripIt it highlights people who reside in a city that users are going to visit.
The company plans to also come out with an Android application for LinkedIn Contacts, as well as with a version optimized for mobile browsers.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts