Tumblr updates iOS app for wider social media sharing
The new app lets users share content on their Twitter and Facebook feeds.
IDG News Service - Tumblr is giving its users more options to share their posts across other social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, with a new iOS app released Wednesday.
Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices, the mobile app lets users cross-post content on Tumblr to their outside feeds on Twitter, Facebook "and more," Tumblr announced in a post on its staff blog. Other social networks included in the integration were not specified.
The new tool is one of several features included in the new app aimed at bringing more traffic back to Tumblr from outside sites. In addition to the Facebook and Twitter sharing integration, for instance, the app also now lets mobile users save Tumblr content for later by supporting Instapaper and Pocket, two Web services designed for saving and archiving content that can be accessed later from various devices.
"Now you can do more than just reblog when you find something you love," Tumblr said.
The app also features a richly designed new template for emailing entire posts to other people.
Tumblr has been very active on mobile lately in an effort both to engage users and increase revenue. On Tuesday the company introduced its first mobile app for the Windows 8 smartphone, including many of the features users have come to expect from the post-anything blogging site. "They finally put Tumblr on Windows phones. All is right with the world again," one person tweeted on Wednesday.
And on Tuesday, Tumblr made the move to place ads on users' mobile feeds. Sponsored posts, which allow fashion, entertainment and other brand partners to pay to have their posts appear in Tumblr's "Radar" right rail, have been visible on Tumblr's desktop service for less than a year.
On mobile, Tumblr's user base has quadrupled over the past six months, the company said. Tumblr has 54 million users total.
The new mobile iOS app is available in the Apple App Store.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Mobile Apps White Papers |
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more