Tumblr updates iOS app for wider social media sharing
The new app lets users share content on their Twitter and Facebook feeds.
IDG News Service - Tumblr is giving its users more options to share their posts across other social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, with a new iOS app released Wednesday.
Available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices, the mobile app lets users cross-post content on Tumblr to their outside feeds on Twitter, Facebook "and more," Tumblr announced in a post on its staff blog. Other social networks included in the integration were not specified.
The new tool is one of several features included in the new app aimed at bringing more traffic back to Tumblr from outside sites. In addition to the Facebook and Twitter sharing integration, for instance, the app also now lets mobile users save Tumblr content for later by supporting Instapaper and Pocket, two Web services designed for saving and archiving content that can be accessed later from various devices.
"Now you can do more than just reblog when you find something you love," Tumblr said.
The app also features a richly designed new template for emailing entire posts to other people.
Tumblr has been very active on mobile lately in an effort both to engage users and increase revenue. On Tuesday the company introduced its first mobile app for the Windows 8 smartphone, including many of the features users have come to expect from the post-anything blogging site. "They finally put Tumblr on Windows phones. All is right with the world again," one person tweeted on Wednesday.
And on Tuesday, Tumblr made the move to place ads on users' mobile feeds. Sponsored posts, which allow fashion, entertainment and other brand partners to pay to have their posts appear in Tumblr's "Radar" right rail, have been visible on Tumblr's desktop service for less than a year.
On mobile, Tumblr's user base has quadrupled over the past six months, the company said. Tumblr has 54 million users total.
The new mobile iOS app is available in the Apple App Store.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts