Nokia banks on social integration to boost smartphone sales
The Asha 210 feature phone has a physical key for access to WhatsApp messaging
IDG News Service - Nokia's latest advanced feature phone, the Asha 210, comes with a physical key to access WhatsApp messaging, as well as software clients for Twitter and Facebook.
The launch of the new member of the Asha family follows Nokia's announcement last week that sales of its mobile phones in the first quarter had dropped by 21 percent year on year, to 55.8 million units. As smartphone sales slowed, sales of more basic mobile phones had helped keep Nokia afloat.
To turn around its fortunes the company is working on upgrading its line-up, and the Asha 210 is latest phone to arrive. It has a 2.4-inch screen, a 2-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi and a QWERTY keyboard. There are physical keys for both the camera and the Wi-Fi connection.
But it is the integration with social networks that Nokia hopes will help set the phone apart in a segment of the market that is getting increasingly competitive. Just below the Asha 210's screen is a dedicated WhatsApp button that users can click on to start chatting with other users of the cross-platform mobile messaging app. WhatsApp is also integrated with the phonebook.
This isn't the first time Nokia has added a physical button to provide better integration with a social network. At the end of last year Nokia launched the Asha 205, which has a dedicated Facebook button.
In addition to WhatsApp, the Asha 210 also has support for Facebook, Twitter and email services such as Gmail.
The Nokia Asha 210 is available in yellow, cyan, black, magenta, and white. The estimated retail price for the Asha 210 will be $72 and the phone is expected to start shipping before the end of this quarter.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!