Nokia banks on social integration to boost smartphone sales
The Asha 210 feature phone has a physical key for access to WhatsApp messaging
IDG News Service - Nokia's latest advanced feature phone, the Asha 210, comes with a physical key to access WhatsApp messaging, as well as software clients for Twitter and Facebook.
The launch of the new member of the Asha family follows Nokia's announcement last week that sales of its mobile phones in the first quarter had dropped by 21 percent year on year, to 55.8 million units. As smartphone sales slowed, sales of more basic mobile phones had helped keep Nokia afloat.
To turn around its fortunes the company is working on upgrading its line-up, and the Asha 210 is latest phone to arrive. It has a 2.4-inch screen, a 2-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi and a QWERTY keyboard. There are physical keys for both the camera and the Wi-Fi connection.
But it is the integration with social networks that Nokia hopes will help set the phone apart in a segment of the market that is getting increasingly competitive. Just below the Asha 210's screen is a dedicated WhatsApp button that users can click on to start chatting with other users of the cross-platform mobile messaging app. WhatsApp is also integrated with the phonebook.
This isn't the first time Nokia has added a physical button to provide better integration with a social network. At the end of last year Nokia launched the Asha 205, which has a dedicated Facebook button.
In addition to WhatsApp, the Asha 210 also has support for Facebook, Twitter and email services such as Gmail.
The Nokia Asha 210 is available in yellow, cyan, black, magenta, and white. The estimated retail price for the Asha 210 will be $72 and the phone is expected to start shipping before the end of this quarter.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts