AT&T revenue, net income nearly flat
Declining wireline business revenue nearly offsets mobile growth
IDG News Service - AT&T has reported revenue of US $31.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013, down slightly from a year earlier, although net income was up slightly, with a sagging wireline business division nearly offsetting mobile and wired broadband growth.
AT&T's revenue was down 1.5 percent from the first quarter of 2012, but those numbers don't count the company's sold-off advertising solutions group. When excluding revenue from advertising solutions, revenue was up 0.9 percent. Net income attributable to AT&T was $3.7 billion, up from $3.6 billion a year earlier.
The company posted earnings per share of $0.67, or $0.64 excluding one-time items, meeting analysts' estimates.
AT&T's mobile division posted revenue of $16.7 billion, up 3.4 percent from 2012. Mobile income was $4.7 billion, up 4 percent from a year earlier. But the company's wireline division partly offset those numbers. Wireline revenue was $14.7 billion, down 1.8 percent, and wireline net income fell 5 percent to $1.6 billion.
Company officials pointed to mobile growth as a cause for optimism. AT&T added a net total of 291,000 mobile customers during the first quarter, with 365,000 tablets added to the company's network during the quarter. The company added 1.2 million postpaid smartphone subscribers during the quarter, with many of those subscribers moving over from older mobile phones on AT&T's network.
AT&T had "exceptional" growth in tablet users during the quarter, said John Stephens, AT&T's CFO.
"All in all, [it was] a solid start to the new year," Stephens said during a conference call.
About 70 percent of the company's postpaid smartphone customers are now on use-capped data plans, compared to 61 percent a year ago, AT&T said.
In the company's wireline division, AT&T reported that it added 731,000 U-verse broadband customers during the quarter, a record net gain in that area. Overall, the company added 124,000 wireline broadband customers during the quarter, with DSL losses partly offsetting U-verse gains. The company also added 232,000 U-verse TV customers during the quarter, the highest increase in nine quarters, it said.
AT&T now has 8.4 million U-verse broadband and 4.8 million U-verse TV customers, it said.
Wireline revenue from residential customers was $5.5 billion, up 2 percent from the first quarter of 2012, but business revenue was $8.9 billion, down 3.4 percent.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts