Asus ships Cube Internet streaming device with Google TV
The renamed Cube is priced at $139.99
IDG News Service - Asustek has shipped its Google TV streaming device called Cube, which will become available starting this week for $139.99.
Originally called the "Qube," the product is shaped like a cube, and attracted attention for its small size when originally announced at the International CES in January this year. Beyond streaming movies from Google Play and Netflix, users can also watch their own stored movies from the 50GB of free cloud storage provided with the device.
An Acer spokeswoman said via email that the product is available through online retailers like Amazon.com, Newegg and others. Newegg has listed the product as shipping on April 25.
The Cube joins a growing market of TVs, set-top boxes and streaming devices trying to unite broadcast and Internet content. Other Google TV products include Vizio's Co-Star, LG's 3D LED smart TV models, Sony's Internet Player, Netgear's NeoTV Prime and Hisense's Pulse. Other TV companion boxes include Roku, Apple's Apple TV and Western Digital's WDTV. Intel is releasing a streaming device later this year that the company claims will get rid of the cable box.
Asus' Cube runs on Google TV software, which is based on Android and provides the underlying code to unite broadcast and Internet content. Asus has incorporated its own interface through which users view social media feeds, surf the Internet, and browse or search for a program.
Included with the Cube is a two-sided remote control with a mini-keyboard on one side and standard buttons like on/off, sound and volume on the other. The remote has motion-sensing capabilities for gaming and a microphone that allows users to search for a program or launch an application through voice commands.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!