WD shrinks laptop drives to just 5mm thick
The new slim drives offer greater shock resistance for mobile applications
Computerworld - Western Digital is now shipping what it calls the world's slimmest laptop drive series. The drives are just 5mm, or about one-fifth of an inch, thick -- 2mm slimmer than any other 2.5-in form factor drives to date.
Most 2.5-in laptop drives are are 9.5mm or 7mm high and have two platters. The new drive has a single, 500GB platter, WD said.
The new drive series includes the WD Blue hard disk drive and WD Black SSHD (solid-state hybrid drive), which combines NAND flash with traditional spinning disk.
Both offer 500GB of storage capacity.
"Our engineering team took a clean-sheet approach with 5 mm to deliver an ultra-thin hard drive that enables a world of possibilities and applications for mobile computing and beyond," Matt Rutledge, vice president of WD's client computing business unit, said in a statement.
The new drives are designed to allow for smaller device slots for netbooks or ultrabooks.
The 5mm height and a new small form factor SFF-8784 edge connector gives system designers a greater degree of chassis design freedom and reduces weight by up to 36% compared to a standard 9.5mm drive.
WD Blue 5mm hard drives also feature the first application of the SFF-8784 edge connector, which receives power from and connects with the host I/O bus via the SATA interface connector SFF-8784.
The WD Blue and WD Black 5mm drives also sport new operation and non-operation shock specifications offering 400G and 1000G of resilience, respectively.
One method WD uses to reduce noise and internal vibration is something it calls StableTrac. The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read/write operations. That also enables consistently higher performance.
The WD Blue version (model: WD5000MPCK) has a suggested retail price of $89 and is covered by a two-year limited warranty.
The WD Black SSHD are already shipping to system manufacturers and integrators, with more information about the drives available on the company's website.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts