Huawei: US market no longer focus for its carrier business
Huawei expects to find ample business in other parts of the world
IDG News Service - After facing a congressional battering over security concerns, Huawei's carrier networking group is no longer focused on the U.S. market, and instead expects to find ample business in other parts of the world.
"Apparently, due to whatever the geopolitical reasons, we are not focusing on the U.S. market," said Li Sanqi, Huawei's chief technology officer for the group, on Tuesday.
Last October, a congressional panel advised the nation's telecom operators to steer clear of buying Huawei's networking equipment for fears over the company's alleged ties to the Chinese government.
The U.S. lawmakers' claims against Huawei dealt a major blow to the company's carrier networking group, which had spent years trying to cultivate business in the country's telecom industry. U.S. officials worry that Huawei technology could be used by China to secretly conduct cyberespionage or hacking attacks.
Huawei has rejected the allegations and insists that its telecommunication equipment is safe to use. But for now, the company's carrier networking group is dropping the U.S. from its priorities, despite the market's size, Li said in a meeting with reporters. He estimated that the U.S. accounts for about 30 percent of the world's carrier business.
"Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get into the U.S. market. Thirty percent, it's a high-value market," he said. But the carrier business in other parts of the world continues to grow, which he said was an encouraging sign for the company.
"We today face reality. We will focus on the rest of the world, which is reasonably big enough and is growing significantly," he added.
One major market expected to help Huawei's carrier networking group is China, which is preparing to launch new 4G networks. The country has more than a billion mobile phone accounts, and the nation's tech regulators are expected to issue commercial 4G licenses later this year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts