Mobile data and messaging exceeds voice revenues for the first time on mobiles: Telsyte
IDG News Service - The value of mobile data and messaging revenues has exceeded voice call revenues for the first time in Australia, according to new research from technology analyst firm, Telsyte.
"The phenomenal growth of smartphones, apps and personal messaging has finally put data and messaging ahead of call revenues for carriers," Telsyte mobile services analyst, Alvin Lee says.
"Ultimately carriers will move to an all IP network with voice becoming another data application," Lee says. The arrival of Voice over LTE (VoLTE) will accelerate this trend and ultimately all voice revenues could be included as data.
"Current LTE devices don't support VoLTE, but as they start to, mobile data might become the single unit of value" Lee said.
Telsyte expects Facebook to become more influential in the mobile industry as people utilise Facebook Home and Facebook features such as presence and a unified experience to enhance their communications.
Telsyte estimates there was 30.6 million services in operation at the end of December 2012, or around 133 per cent population penetration. A little over six per cent of these were 4G connections, according to Telsyte Australian Mobile Services Market Study 2013, which covered market metrics.
This report also considered more than 20 companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, Aldi Mobile, Amaysim, Apple, Australia Post, China Telecom, Cisco, Dodo, Ericsson, Facebook, Gotalk, HTC, Huawei, and iiNet, among others.
Download our Smartphone Super Guide for iPad
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts