Mobile data and messaging exceeds voice revenues for the first time on mobiles: Telsyte
IDG News Service - The value of mobile data and messaging revenues has exceeded voice call revenues for the first time in Australia, according to new research from technology analyst firm, Telsyte.
"The phenomenal growth of smartphones, apps and personal messaging has finally put data and messaging ahead of call revenues for carriers," Telsyte mobile services analyst, Alvin Lee says.
"Ultimately carriers will move to an all IP network with voice becoming another data application," Lee says. The arrival of Voice over LTE (VoLTE) will accelerate this trend and ultimately all voice revenues could be included as data.
"Current LTE devices don't support VoLTE, but as they start to, mobile data might become the single unit of value" Lee said.
Telsyte expects Facebook to become more influential in the mobile industry as people utilise Facebook Home and Facebook features such as presence and a unified experience to enhance their communications.
Telsyte estimates there was 30.6 million services in operation at the end of December 2012, or around 133 per cent population penetration. A little over six per cent of these were 4G connections, according to Telsyte Australian Mobile Services Market Study 2013, which covered market metrics.
This report also considered more than 20 companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, Aldi Mobile, Amaysim, Apple, Australia Post, China Telecom, Cisco, Dodo, Ericsson, Facebook, Gotalk, HTC, Huawei, and iiNet, among others.
Download our Smartphone Super Guide for iPad
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!