Mobile data and messaging exceeds voice revenues for the first time on mobiles: Telsyte
IDG News Service - The value of mobile data and messaging revenues has exceeded voice call revenues for the first time in Australia, according to new research from technology analyst firm, Telsyte.
"The phenomenal growth of smartphones, apps and personal messaging has finally put data and messaging ahead of call revenues for carriers," Telsyte mobile services analyst, Alvin Lee says.
"Ultimately carriers will move to an all IP network with voice becoming another data application," Lee says. The arrival of Voice over LTE (VoLTE) will accelerate this trend and ultimately all voice revenues could be included as data.
"Current LTE devices don't support VoLTE, but as they start to, mobile data might become the single unit of value" Lee said.
Telsyte expects Facebook to become more influential in the mobile industry as people utilise Facebook Home and Facebook features such as presence and a unified experience to enhance their communications.
Telsyte estimates there was 30.6 million services in operation at the end of December 2012, or around 133 per cent population penetration. A little over six per cent of these were 4G connections, according to Telsyte Australian Mobile Services Market Study 2013, which covered market metrics.
This report also considered more than 20 companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, Aldi Mobile, Amaysim, Apple, Australia Post, China Telecom, Cisco, Dodo, Ericsson, Facebook, Gotalk, HTC, Huawei, and iiNet, among others.
Download our Smartphone Super Guide for iPad
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts