CA Technologies buys Layer 7 for API smarts
Layer 7 is the second API company purchase in the past week
IDG News Service - CA Technologies is acquiring Layer 7 Technologies, a purveyor of tools for managing and securing application programming interfaces (APIs).
CA plans to integrate Layer 7 products into its own Identity and Access Management suite of security software.A
API management software providers are becoming a hot commodity. Last week, Intel announced that it had purchased Layer 7 competitor Mashery].
An API provides a set of machine-readable instructions that one software program can use to interact with another over a network. By providing an API for its services, a company can encourage wider usage of those services by other parties.
Managing APIs through dedicated software will allow organizations to more effectively bridge their services between mobile applications, the cloud and their end users, according to CA.
"There are billions of API calls a day and that number is going to increase with the proliferation of smart devices, ranging from vehicles, meters, TVs and other devices, as they start interacting over APIs," said Mike Denning, CA Technologies' security general manager.A
Layer 7 CEO Paul Rochester has estimated that there are currently over 8,000 public APIs, as of the end of 2012. A
Layer 7 has a number of API management products, including an API gateway, an API proxy, and portal and identity management products. It also sells a gateway for managing externally facing SOA (Service Oriented Architecture)-based Web services.
CA plans to fold the Layer 7 technologies in with its own SiteMinder identity management software, as well as its Lisa line of application virtualization software.
Founded in 2002, Layer 7 has offices in Washington, Sydney, Vancouver and Guildford England. Organizations such as Cisco, General Motors, MasterCard, Best Buy, the U.S. Department of Defense have all used the company's API management products. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts